Emigrating to Chile

Emigrating to Chile
If you enter Chile without a visa, you will be granted a Tourist Card or a Tarjeta de Turismo, which is issued at the entry points of the country. However, if you plan to stay in Chile for a period of more than 90 days, then you will have to get a visa. There are many types of visas in Chile to choose from, and you can get one that will correspond with your purpose of staying longer in the country.

For working in Chile for only a short period of time, there is a Special Work Card or a Tarjeta Especial de Trabajo that you can apply for. This card allows you to work in the country while you are still on a Tourist Card.

If you plan to work in Chile for a longer period of time, the most common work visa that you can apply for is the Subject to Contract Visa or the Visa Sujeto a Contrato. This is because most employers in Chile hire foreign nationals under contracts. To get a hold of this type of work visa, you must present a copy of your contract that has been duly notarized to the Foreign Legalization Service or the Departameni de Extrajeria.

If you want a flexible visa, then you can apply for a Temporary Residence Visa or the Visa de Residencia Temporaria. This visa does not have a restriction that only allows you to have a contract with a single employer, so its expiration is not dependent on whether you still have your job or not. However, this visa is more difficult to secure.

You can also apply for permanent residency or residencia permanente in Chile if you have lived in the country temporarily for one year or if you have been holding a subject to contract visa for a period of two consecutive years.