New Zealand jobs fairs in Australia plan to claw back skilled Kiwis
As the fight to form the next New Zealand government ramps up, a statement by the National Party promises that, if re-elected, it will organise jobs fairs in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney in an attempt to persuade skilled Kiwi migrants to return home. According to the party’s development spokesperson Stephen Joyce and NZ Immigration representative Michael Woodhouse, a real need for skilled workers now exists across the employment spectrum.
The ICT, construction, engineering and manufacturing sectors are especially in need of experienced professionals, according to Joyce, and it’s hoped that returning New Zealanders will fill many of the vacant positions. Strong growth is continuing in Auckland, in Canterbury and in other major centres on both islands.
As part of their platform for the 2008 election, the National Party promised to reverse the huge number of Kiwis emigrating to Australia. The party considers it’s kept its promise and is noting that many of those who left are now heading back home as the Australian economy declines.
According to Woodhouse, the country’s general immigration strategy won’t be changed as regards its support for the economy, its job creation schemes and its contribution to higher average wages. He added that the new Immigration Online service will make life easier for immigrants, and specifically mentioned the ongoing Christchurch rebuild as a source of jobs for skilled tradesmen.
- Rolf Harris wants to emigrate to Australia upon prison release - June 19, 2015
- Irish emigrants opting against Australia - April 15, 2015
- Does Harry plan to emigrate to Australia? - March 23, 2015
- 90% of medical students plan to leave Ireland - March 16, 2015
- Nez Zealand annual migration rises to record high - February 26, 2015
- Australia kicks out criminal Irishman - February 9, 2015
- New Zealand and Canada chasing Irish workers - February 8, 2015
- Record number of Australia’s population born overseas - February 6, 2015
- Australian activists halt asylum seeker deportation - February 3, 2015
- Australian Open final interrupted by Manus Island protesters - February 2, 2015
- UAE-Indian eMigrate inititative will end exploitation - September 8, 2015
- Egypt seizes vessels with more than 200 migrants - September 7, 2015
- Indian employers angered by eMigrate system - August 18, 2015
- Church leader: African leaders must address problems that spark emigration - August 14, 2015
- 60 migrants missing off Libya coastline - August 13, 2015
- More illegal immigrants found in lorry in UK - August 11, 2015
- Nine illegal migrants seen exiting truck at Essex shopping centre - August 7, 2015
- PNG government promises Manus alcohol crackdown - August 6, 2015
- British landlords told to evict illegal immigrants - August 5, 2015
- Polish family emigrate to Plymouth after seeing images on Google Street View - July 28, 2015