Tokyo surpasses Luanda as priciest city for emigrants
According to Mercer’s yearly Worldwide Cost of Living Survey, recent global events, including political and economic turmoil, have changed the rankings of several regions via inflation, volatility in accommodation prices and currency fluctuations.
Using New York City as a base metropolis, the analysis calculates the comparative prices of over 200 items at each location, including transport, food, clothing, entertainment and household goods. Also included are housing costs, which are critical in the ranking system as they are frequently the greatest expense for expats.
International newspapers in Moscow cost around $9.60, while expats in Luanda pay around $174 for a pair of blue jeans. A cup of coffee and service in Tokyo averages around $8.15, while monthly rent for a luxury unfurnished two-bedroom apartment costs about $4,766, says Mercer.
Geneva held onto its ranking as the globe’s fifth priciest city for expatriates, while Zurich went up one spot to sixth and Bern gained two places to 14 after the franc gained against the dollar. The most economical city for expats is Karachi, where it is less than one-third the cost of Tokyo, according to Mercer.
- Burlington Ontario ranks best livable Canadian city for immigrants - March 25, 2013
- British emigrants reverse traditional Aussie migration route - December 18, 2012
- Mumbai still the safest Indian city for female expatriates - November 7, 2012
- Most liveable city on the planet is Melbourne - August 29, 2012
- Butte named most Irish American US city - August 28, 2012
- UK attracts high number of EU emigrants - July 17, 2012
- Higgins suggests using abandoned estates as emigrants holiday homes - June 25, 2012
- Asian demography surpasses other minorities - June 21, 2012
- UK emigrants to have crisis centre by month's end - June 4, 2012
- Cuban emigrants and officials discuss reforms via videoconference - May 2, 2012
- Australia plans to admit 190000 immigrants in 2013 - May 17, 2013
- Merkel urges Germans to accept immigration policy changes - May 16, 2013
- Kiwi lifestyle and higher wages lure highly skilled Brits - May 15, 2013
- Canada ramps up search for skilled immigrants in specific trades - May 14, 2013
- US senator submits game changing bill to repeal FATCA - May 13, 2013
- Germany reels under surge in immigrants from EU countries - May 10, 2013
- Survey confirms emigration of hundreds of thousands of Irish - May 9, 2013
- Australian government to invest AU$ millions in promoting multiculturalism - May 8, 2013
- Immigrant impact on town transformation underscores US visa reform - May 7, 2013
- Expat entrepreneurs in niche markets do well in China - May 6, 2013