Greek youth still dreaming of emigrating
A recent study conducted by Thessaloniki University reveals how the majority of these emigrants, as well as those wishing to emigrate, are among the younger generations. Popular destinations include countries such as China, Australia, Russia and Iran. The drive to leave Greece seems to be curbed somewhat by a real dread of the unknown, as well as perhaps a dread of being separated from the family.
Another survey by Athens Parthenon University reveals that 7 out of 10 young Greeks wish to leave their recession-ridden nation in search of more opportunities, but less than 1 in 5 have actually taken the steps to prepare for a departure.
Conducted by the Focus Bari firm using a sample group of 444 people aged 18 - 24, the study reveals 76% of interviewees thinking that emigrating would be the most appropriate response to the impact of the recession. However, for the majority of them, the idea of leaving seems to be a dream which cannot be realised. Nearly 53% of those interviewed spoke of having considered emigrating, while only 17% admitted to having taken preparatory actions.
- Educated Cubans banned from emigrating for five years - December 14, 2012
- Over a third of South African youth may emigrate - November 23, 2012
- Number of people emigrating from Ireland continues to grow - September 28, 2012
- Emigrating to Australia: Introduction of a tougher immigration policy - September 25, 2012
- Pope discourages Christian youth from leaving Lebanon - September 20, 2012
- Irish council member continues to receive wage after emigrating down under - September 3, 2012
- South African youth believe future will be better - August 14, 2012
- Emigrating to Canada - jobs available for Canada immigrants - July 11, 2012
- Four Irish families emigrating each week - May 24, 2012
- Emigrating To Australia News: Disillusioned New Zealanders Seek Jobs In Australia - May 15, 2012
- Australia plans to admit 190000 immigrants in 2013 - May 17, 2013
- Merkel urges Germans to accept immigration policy changes - May 16, 2013
- Kiwi lifestyle and higher wages lure highly skilled Brits - May 15, 2013
- Canada ramps up search for skilled immigrants in specific trades - May 14, 2013
- US senator submits game changing bill to repeal FATCA - May 13, 2013
- Germany reels under surge in immigrants from EU countries - May 10, 2013
- Survey confirms emigration of hundreds of thousands of Irish - May 9, 2013
- Australian government to invest AU$ millions in promoting multiculturalism - May 8, 2013
- Immigrant impact on town transformation underscores US visa reform - May 7, 2013
- Expat entrepreneurs in niche markets do well in China - May 6, 2013