French emigrants courted in presidential campaign
On March 15, the campaign office of France’s President Nicolas Sarkozy rushed out a short video message to French voters living overseas, seeking to end the commotion over his proposal to levy taxes on citizens living abroad.
Nathalie Kosciusko-Morizet, who is Sarkozy’s campaign spokeswoman, created a message that would assure expats that the new tax announced three days prior would only affect a tiny number of tax exiles. Expats do not have to worry, said the spokeswoman in the video. They represent France overseas and the fruits of their labour will not be affected, she added.
Sarkozy is not the only one courting all the 2.5 million French citizens living overseas. Francois Hollande, Socialist contender, campaigned in February in London, whose 300,000 French expats could make it France’s 6th largest city. Sarkozy visited “Paris-on-Thames” during in the 2007 campaign, has watched the number of expat French double in the past decade, forcing him to pay attention.
About 500,000 expats have registered to vote from outside France for the 2012 election, up from 250,000 back in 2007 and 125,000 back in 2002, says Herve Heyraud, publisher of LePetitJournal.com, online publication for French expatriates.
- French Jewish emigration to Israel on the decline - June 7, 2015
- Irish government expects more emigrants to return - May 5, 2015
- Employment report shows more Irish emigrants seeking to return for work - April 23, 2015
- Irish emigrants opting against Australia - April 15, 2015
- Emigrants want Ryanair to reduce flights for returning to vote - April 7, 2015
- Record low of South Korean emigrants during 2014 - March 18, 2015
- Majority of emigrants find moving overseas tougher than expected - March 9, 2015
- South Korea to discuss safety of emigrants - February 12, 2015
- 24 Irish emigrants faced deportation from Australia after roof-fixing scam - January 30, 2015
- Mothers of emigrants more likely to suffer depression - November 13, 2014
- Austria and Hungary at loggerheads over migrants - June 24, 2015
- Mediterranean migrant crisis: EU to launch new quarantine system - June 23, 2015
- Europe spends billions deporting migrants - June 22, 2015
- Lorry migrants in UK passed onto immigration officials - June 20, 2015
- More South Africans looking to emigrate - June 19, 2015
- Spain among Europe’s cheapest countries for expats - June 19, 2015
- Rolf Harris wants to emigrate to Australia upon prison release - June 19, 2015
- One in four young Egyptian males want to quit country - June 12, 2015
- Myanmar repatriates 144 illegal migrants - June 11, 2015
- Portuguese PM refutes claims he urged youth to emigrate - June 10, 2015