French emigrants courted in presidential campaign
On March 15, the campaign office of France’s President Nicolas Sarkozy rushed out a short video message to French voters living overseas, seeking to end the commotion over his proposal to levy taxes on citizens living abroad.
Nathalie Kosciusko-Morizet, who is Sarkozy’s campaign spokeswoman, created a message that would assure expats that the new tax announced three days prior would only affect a tiny number of tax exiles. Expats do not have to worry, said the spokeswoman in the video. They represent France overseas and the fruits of their labour will not be affected, she added.
Sarkozy is not the only one courting all the 2.5 million French citizens living overseas. Francois Hollande, Socialist contender, campaigned in February in London, whose 300,000 French expats could make it France’s 6th largest city. Sarkozy visited “Paris-on-Thames” during in the 2007 campaign, has watched the number of expat French double in the past decade, forcing him to pay attention.
About 500,000 expats have registered to vote from outside France for the 2012 election, up from 250,000 back in 2007 and 125,000 back in 2002, says Herve Heyraud, publisher of LePetitJournal.com, online publication for French expatriates.
- French Jewish emigration to Israel on the decline - June 7, 2015
- Irish government expects more emigrants to return - May 5, 2015
- Employment report shows more Irish emigrants seeking to return for work - April 23, 2015
- Irish emigrants opting against Australia - April 15, 2015
- Emigrants want Ryanair to reduce flights for returning to vote - April 7, 2015
- Record low of South Korean emigrants during 2014 - March 18, 2015
- Majority of emigrants find moving overseas tougher than expected - March 9, 2015
- South Korea to discuss safety of emigrants - February 12, 2015
- 24 Irish emigrants faced deportation from Australia after roof-fixing scam - January 30, 2015
- Mothers of emigrants more likely to suffer depression - November 13, 2014
- UAE-Indian eMigrate inititative will end exploitation - September 8, 2015
- Egypt seizes vessels with more than 200 migrants - September 7, 2015
- Indian employers angered by eMigrate system - August 18, 2015
- Church leader: African leaders must address problems that spark emigration - August 14, 2015
- 60 migrants missing off Libya coastline - August 13, 2015
- More illegal immigrants found in lorry in UK - August 11, 2015
- Nine illegal migrants seen exiting truck at Essex shopping centre - August 7, 2015
- PNG government promises Manus alcohol crackdown - August 6, 2015
- British landlords told to evict illegal immigrants - August 5, 2015
- Polish family emigrate to Plymouth after seeing images on Google Street View - July 28, 2015