French emigrants courted in presidential campaign
On March 15, the campaign office of France’s President Nicolas Sarkozy rushed out a short video message to French voters living overseas, seeking to end the commotion over his proposal to levy taxes on citizens living abroad.
Nathalie Kosciusko-Morizet, who is Sarkozy’s campaign spokeswoman, created a message that would assure expats that the new tax announced three days prior would only affect a tiny number of tax exiles. Expats do not have to worry, said the spokeswoman in the video. They represent France overseas and the fruits of their labour will not be affected, she added.
Sarkozy is not the only one courting all the 2.5 million French citizens living overseas. Francois Hollande, Socialist contender, campaigned in February in London, whose 300,000 French expats could make it France’s 6th largest city. Sarkozy visited “Paris-on-Thames” during in the 2007 campaign, has watched the number of expat French double in the past decade, forcing him to pay attention.
About 500,000 expats have registered to vote from outside France for the 2012 election, up from 250,000 back in 2007 and 125,000 back in 2002, says Herve Heyraud, publisher of LePetitJournal.com, online publication for French expatriates.
- Mothers of emigrants more likely to suffer depression - November 13, 2014
- Irish emigrant group campaigns for migrants right to vote - December 21, 2013
- Survey shows New Zealand emigrants happy with their lot - November 29, 2013
- Study shows that 60 per cent of Irish emigrants are highly skilled - September 30, 2013
- MP poll of UK emigrants reveals most are middle income workers - September 6, 2013
- French millionaire exodus swells with two more heading to London - March 13, 2013
- Sarkozy latest wealthy Frenchman planning emigration to evade rich tax - January 23, 2013
- Jarre joins list of French millionaires avoiding tax increases - January 2, 2013
- British emigrants reverse traditional Aussie migration route - December 18, 2012
- More Illegal Emigrants Attempt to make their Way Out of the UK - January 25, 2011
- Suicide attempts in Australia’s PNG detention centre - January 23, 2015
- Mancunians among Brits most likely to emigrate to New Zealand - January 22, 2015
- Benefit-claiming Brits in EU countries outnumber immigrants on welfare in the UK - January 22, 2015
- Cambodia-Australia refugee deal gets international backing - January 20, 2015
- UK: Home Secretary insists work must be done to prevent Jewish emigration - January 19, 2015
- One in 20 Brits plan to emigrate - January 16, 2015
- Nepalese national convicted of murder in Qatar granted pardon - January 15, 2015
- Almost 300,000 irregular migrants arrived in EU in 2014 - January 15, 2015
- Thousands of Jews to quit France for Israel - January 14, 2015
- Irish grandparents emigrate to Australia because they miss their children - January 13, 2015