French emigrants courted in presidential campaign
On March 15, the campaign office of France’s President Nicolas Sarkozy rushed out a short video message to French voters living overseas, seeking to end the commotion over his proposal to levy taxes on citizens living abroad.
Nathalie Kosciusko-Morizet, who is Sarkozy’s campaign spokeswoman, created a message that would assure expats that the new tax announced three days prior would only affect a tiny number of tax exiles. Expats do not have to worry, said the spokeswoman in the video. They represent France overseas and the fruits of their labour will not be affected, she added.
Sarkozy is not the only one courting all the 2.5 million French citizens living overseas. Francois Hollande, Socialist contender, campaigned in February in London, whose 300,000 French expats could make it France’s 6th largest city. Sarkozy visited “Paris-on-Thames” during in the 2007 campaign, has watched the number of expat French double in the past decade, forcing him to pay attention.
About 500,000 expats have registered to vote from outside France for the 2012 election, up from 250,000 back in 2007 and 125,000 back in 2002, says Herve Heyraud, publisher of LePetitJournal.com, online publication for French expatriates.
- Irish government expects more emigrants to return - May 5, 2015
- Employment report shows more Irish emigrants seeking to return for work - April 23, 2015
- Irish emigrants opting against Australia - April 15, 2015
- Emigrants want Ryanair to reduce flights for returning to vote - April 7, 2015
- Record low of South Korean emigrants during 2014 - March 18, 2015
- Majority of emigrants find moving overseas tougher than expected - March 9, 2015
- South Korea to discuss safety of emigrants - February 12, 2015
- 24 Irish emigrants faced deportation from Australia after roof-fixing scam - January 30, 2015
- Mothers of emigrants more likely to suffer depression - November 13, 2014
- Irish emigrant group campaigns for migrants right to vote - December 21, 2013
- Spanish association joins expat groups to fight property laws - May 27, 2015
- British expats reveal why Spain is number one choice - May 26, 2015
- Graves filled with suspected trafficking victims found in Malaysia - May 26, 2015
- Malaga attracting foreign buyers once more - May 22, 2015
- Spain joins EU migrant quota opposition - May 21, 2015
- More Brits die in Spain than any other country - May 20, 2015
- Illegal immigrant talks to begin between Malaysia, Bangladesh and Myanmar - May 19, 2015
- Migrant’s Gibraltar Straight bid foiled by Morocco - May 18, 2015
- Large numbers of Hungarians looking to emigrate - May 13, 2015
- Latvian border guards kept busy by illegal immigrants - May 12, 2015