French emigrants courted in presidential campaign
On March 15, the campaign office of France’s President Nicolas Sarkozy rushed out a short video message to French voters living overseas, seeking to end the commotion over his proposal to levy taxes on citizens living abroad.
Nathalie Kosciusko-Morizet, who is Sarkozy’s campaign spokeswoman, created a message that would assure expats that the new tax announced three days prior would only affect a tiny number of tax exiles. Expats do not have to worry, said the spokeswoman in the video. They represent France overseas and the fruits of their labour will not be affected, she added.
Sarkozy is not the only one courting all the 2.5 million French citizens living overseas. Francois Hollande, Socialist contender, campaigned in February in London, whose 300,000 French expats could make it France’s 6th largest city. Sarkozy visited “Paris-on-Thames” during in the 2007 campaign, has watched the number of expat French double in the past decade, forcing him to pay attention.
About 500,000 expats have registered to vote from outside France for the 2012 election, up from 250,000 back in 2007 and 125,000 back in 2002, says Herve Heyraud, publisher of LePetitJournal.com, online publication for French expatriates.
- Irish emigrant group campaigns for migrants right to vote - December 21, 2013
- Survey shows New Zealand emigrants happy with their lot - November 29, 2013
- Study shows that 60 per cent of Irish emigrants are highly skilled - September 30, 2013
- MP poll of UK emigrants reveals most are middle income workers - September 6, 2013
- French millionaire exodus swells with two more heading to London - March 13, 2013
- Sarkozy latest wealthy Frenchman planning emigration to evade rich tax - January 23, 2013
- Jarre joins list of French millionaires avoiding tax increases - January 2, 2013
- British emigrants reverse traditional Aussie migration route - December 18, 2012
- UK attracts high number of EU emigrants - July 17, 2012
- More Illegal Emigrants Attempt to make their Way Out of the UK - January 25, 2011
- Study shows expat children successfully integrate into Spanish life - July 22, 2014
- Skilled worker shortages in Germany give migration opportunities - July 21, 2014
- Canadian mother still fighting for visa for her husband - July 21, 2014
- Canada toughens up on foreign spouse sponsorship - July 17, 2014
- Middle East requires expat talent pool to manage international expo events - July 16, 2014
- Coca Cola China offers pollution hazard pay to attract top talent - July 15, 2014
- UK court ruling supports UK citizen spousal financial requirements - July 14, 2014
- OECD recommends cut on low skilled and working holiday visas - July 11, 2014
- Expats in Shanghai Hongqiao Zone offered three year residence permits - July 10, 2014
- Expats looking to buy repossessed properties overseas warned of pitfalls - July 10, 2014