Emigrating British citizens get to keep their retirement
After years of hard work, many British workers built up large pensions to live out their retirement years. These UK pensions kept them from being able to immigrate to foreign countries in fear of losing their nest egg due to high cost of moving and fees attached to transferring their savings plan. This has now changed however based on new laws recently approved by the UK Government which would now allow British Nationals to immigrate to their dream retirement location and take their UK pension along with them while being able to stay away from any additional taxes.
This new law will make UK pension program possible to be converted to another countries pension that is tax free. In order to take advantage of this benefit however, the following stipulations are involved. First is that the retired individual must take up permanent residence in the foreign country. The second stipulation is that money must be moved to a foreign pension plan for a period of no less then five years. Once the 5 year period has passed the UK pension could be changed over to cash and not have any fees added in.
The original laws placed a large tax on those Brits who moved abroad while living off of the pension savings. It was designed to try to keep more Brits living at home during their retirement however this did not stop most from taking the fee and still moving abroad to popular retirement locations for UK such as Australia and New Zealand.
- Ecuador tops Global Retirement Index for lifestyle and cost of living - April 26, 2013
- Providing undocumented US Immigrants a direct path to citizenship could boost the economy by $1.4 trillion - March 27, 2013
- USA poll indicates two thirds of citizens back immigration reform - March 26, 2013
- White House Confirms New Waiver in place for Undocumented Family Members of US Citizens - January 17, 2013
- Southeast Asia now a hub for British retirees - January 4, 2013
- Forbes study reveals top expat retirement destinations - December 31, 2012
- British emigrants reverse traditional Aussie migration route - December 18, 2012
- Educated Cubans banned from emigrating for five years - December 14, 2012
- British migrants are now younger professionals rather than retirees - December 11, 2012
- Immigration News: Proposal for Citizenship for Undocumented Immigrants to USA - November 15, 2012
- Costa Rica Central Valley becoming the next expat haven - May 21, 2013
- Canada to lure Silicon Valley techies struggling with immigration issues - May 20, 2013
- Australia plans to admit 190000 immigrants in 2013 - May 17, 2013
- Merkel urges Germans to accept immigration policy changes - May 16, 2013
- Kiwi lifestyle and higher wages lure highly skilled Brits - May 15, 2013
- Canada ramps up search for skilled immigrants in specific trades - May 14, 2013
- US senator submits game changing bill to repeal FATCA - May 13, 2013
- Germany reels under surge in immigrants from EU countries - May 10, 2013
- Survey confirms emigration of hundreds of thousands of Irish - May 9, 2013
- Australian government to invest AU$ millions in promoting multiculturalism - May 8, 2013