The illegal face of Tescos workforce
Ms Cham has featured in Tesco magazines prior to her being named as one of six of Tesco’s ‘real women’ that would model the clothing range of the super store. Tesco was alerted to Ms Cham’s status by the UK Border Agency but deny any wrongdoing. The group claims that all of the mandatory pre-employment checks were completed and that immigration authorities have been satisfied with their checks. Tesco also has advised that it has given the UKBA its full cooperation in the investigation into the East Ham, London resident.
Ms Cham joined Tesco back in 2002, prior to the enactment of the current points-based system for qualification as a legal worker. Previously, a national insurance number was all the documentation required in order for a foreign national to obtain employment. Ms Cham was already a resident of the UK having arrived in 1998 under a student visa in order to study at London’s Metropolitan University.
Ms Cham has been in the process of applying for a valid work visa but her attempts to date have been unsuccessful leading her to appeal to the high court. The UKBA has said that foreign nationals without the correct visas are encouraged to return home voluntarily, adding that authorities would do so if required. Last year over 60,000 people were forcibly removed.
- Irish politicians urged to lobby Congress over Irish illegals - July 11, 2013
- Britain faces brain drain as two million workers leave - February 19, 2013
- Greece launches crackdown on illegal immigrants - August 7, 2012
- Mexico Illegal immigrant theme park gives taste of perilous trip across the US border - June 7, 2012
- US bill may stop services for illegal immigrants - March 26, 2012
- Illegal Immigrant Returns Home and Sets Up Business Selling UK Passports - January 26, 2012
- Pakistani Illegal Immigrant Finally Deported After Appeal Merry-Go-Round - January 23, 2012
- UK Border Agency Able to Arrest Over 120 Illegal Immigrants in Gwent - January 16, 2012
- Illegal Immigrants Found in Freezer Lorry - January 4, 2012
- UK and Irish Government Tackling Illegal Immigrants Together - December 22, 2011
- Brits eager to emigrate due to unchecked EU immigration - December 4, 2013
- New Zealand Immigration Adviser Act review to improve quality - December 4, 2013
- New survey puts France at top of desirable emigration havens - December 2, 2013
- Survey shows New Zealand emigrants happy with their lot - November 29, 2013
- Spanish residency permits with home purchase plan damaged by demolitions - November 28, 2013
- Oz immigration exempts skilled migrant jobs from Labour Market Testing - November 28, 2013
- Battle to save asylum seeker baby and his family from deportation - November 28, 2013
- Ontario to expand its Bridge Training Programme to help new immigrants - November 28, 2013
- British expats mostly happy with life overseas - November 28, 2013
- Immigration New Zealand accused of running a visa factory - November 22, 2013