Gurkha veterans denied settlement visas in the UK
Councilor Peter Carroll has said of the situation that "They're not allowed to work. They get a bit of charity from their friends and their colleagues. And they eke out a living. It's a sad and lonely and miserable existence. And these are fine people, these are warriors, these are people who would have died for us."
A legal firm that represents man Gurkha veterans has had an extremely small percentage of their clients actually receive permission by the government to settle in the UK. One of a handful was Tul Bahadur Pun. Due to a life threatening condition Pun wanted to come to the UK for medical treatment which was unavailable to him in Nepal. Originally his application was rejected by officials who said that Pun "failed to demonstrate strong ties with the UK."
Martin Howe who is a senior partner at the law firm said of Pun's situation that "It was only as the result of a large campaign, driven over here in the UK by the media - it was only because of that that ministers were shamed into looking at the matter again and shamed into granting Mr Pun his settlement visa."
- UK government should focus on frozen pensions scandal not winter fuel payment - November 15, 2013
- UK expats ditch Europe for new retirement havens - November 11, 2013
- Australia to fast track millionaire visas - October 23, 2013
- Tough UK government bill aims at curbing immigration - October 14, 2013
- Top UK politician warns of migrants recreating their cultures in Britain - September 26, 2013
- New Zealand PM tasks UK government over unfair visa restrictions for Kiwis - September 24, 2013
- Survey reveals UK brain drain is likely to be irreversible - September 18, 2013
- MP poll of UK emigrants reveals most are middle income workers - September 6, 2013
- UK emigrant dilemmas over when to sell property - September 5, 2013
- Australian universities urge government on stricter vocational training visas - September 2, 2013
- Danish former justice minister calls for grouping of immigrants - December 6, 2013
- Young Irish unemployed told by government to emigrate - December 5, 2013
- Brits eager to emigrate due to unchecked EU immigration - December 4, 2013
- New Zealand Immigration Adviser Act review to improve quality - December 4, 2013
- New survey puts France at top of desirable emigration havens - December 2, 2013
- Survey shows New Zealand emigrants happy with their lot - November 29, 2013
- Spanish residency permits with home purchase plan damaged by demolitions - November 28, 2013
- Oz immigration exempts skilled migrant jobs from Labour Market Testing - November 28, 2013
- Battle to save asylum seeker baby and his family from deportation - November 28, 2013
- Ontario to expand its Bridge Training Programme to help new immigrants - November 28, 2013