Gurkha veterans denied settlement visas in the UK
Councilor Peter Carroll has said of the situation that "They're not allowed to work. They get a bit of charity from their friends and their colleagues. And they eke out a living. It's a sad and lonely and miserable existence. And these are fine people, these are warriors, these are people who would have died for us."
A legal firm that represents man Gurkha veterans has had an extremely small percentage of their clients actually receive permission by the government to settle in the UK. One of a handful was Tul Bahadur Pun. Due to a life threatening condition Pun wanted to come to the UK for medical treatment which was unavailable to him in Nepal. Originally his application was rejected by officials who said that Pun "failed to demonstrate strong ties with the UK."
Martin Howe who is a senior partner at the law firm said of Pun's situation that "It was only as the result of a large campaign, driven over here in the UK by the media - it was only because of that that ministers were shamed into looking at the matter again and shamed into granting Mr Pun his settlement visa."
- Australia cancels nine visa types and introduces four business visas - April 9, 2013
- Senators debate huge reduction in family visas as part of immigration reform - March 19, 2013
- Survey shows a quarter of UK millionaires planning emigration - March 7, 2013
- Massive fall in Ireland to Australia working holiday visas - February 25, 2013
- UK pension law changes may affect future expat retirees - February 12, 2013
- UK the most popular EU country for migrants - February 7, 2013
- UK Tech industry hopes immigration reform includes entrepreneur visas - February 6, 2013
- Survey finds 79 percent of UK migrants wont return - January 21, 2013
- UK expat trapped in Thailand due to legal chaos - January 16, 2013
- Increased emigration linked to poor UK job prospects - January 7, 2013
- Australia plans to admit 190000 immigrants in 2013 - May 17, 2013
- Merkel urges Germans to accept immigration policy changes - May 16, 2013
- Kiwi lifestyle and higher wages lure highly skilled Brits - May 15, 2013
- Canada ramps up search for skilled immigrants in specific trades - May 14, 2013
- US senator submits game changing bill to repeal FATCA - May 13, 2013
- Germany reels under surge in immigrants from EU countries - May 10, 2013
- Survey confirms emigration of hundreds of thousands of Irish - May 9, 2013
- Australian government to invest AU$ millions in promoting multiculturalism - May 8, 2013
- Immigrant impact on town transformation underscores US visa reform - May 7, 2013
- Expat entrepreneurs in niche markets do well in China - May 6, 2013