Eurostar Passengers Find Way into UK Through Loophole
Recently, British border officials have been trying their best to seek suspected offenders at the Brussels train station. However, these officials have now been threatened with arrest by Belgian police.
So now the question is: What is this so called loophole? Well, it is actually referred to as the “Lille Loophole.” Pretty much, it allows passengers riding on Eurostar to miss border checks by buying a train ticket from Brussels to Lille in northern France. Then, all the passengers have to do is stay on the train until they get to London.
The UK Border Agency operates border controls in the country of departure. So, if a passenger buys a ticket from Brussels to London, he or she goes through a passport control check. However, if they buy a ticket from Brussels to Lille, which is part of the Schengen zone that allows people to cross members' borders without a check, they do not have to.
Since no one actually checks whether passengers get off at Lille or not, the UK Border Agency does not get to perform checks on board. These passengers can actually get into Britain without having any kind of checks done on them.
- Benefit-claiming Brits in EU countries outnumber immigrants on welfare in the UK - January 22, 2015
- UK: Home Secretary insists work must be done to prevent Jewish emigration - January 19, 2015
- UK: 100 illegal attempts a day to enter country - December 22, 2014
- EU president issues migration warning to UK - December 15, 2014
- Number of Portuguese nurses emigrating to UK soaring - December 8, 2014
- Study reveals top ten overseas retirement destinations for UK citizens - August 6, 2014
- UK court ruling supports UK citizen spousal financial requirements - July 14, 2014
- UK faces brain drain as 70 per cent of recent graduates plan to emigrate - June 30, 2014
- Staggering scale of UK student visa abuse now revealed - June 25, 2014
- UK passport renewals backlog scandal goes viral - June 11, 2014
- British expats better paid and healthier, work longer hours - February 27, 2015
- Nez Zealand annual migration rises to record high - February 26, 2015
- Mexican authorities arrest 54 illegal migrants - February 25, 2015
- More Hong Kongers seeking to emigrate to Taiwan - February 24, 2015
- EU wants Bangladesh to do more to curb illegal migration - February 23, 2015
- Italian coastguard rescues more than 200 migrants fleeing Libya - February 20, 2015
- World’s Best Irish Pub: US leading the way - February 19, 2015
- Denmark’s Jews vow not to emigrate after recent attack - February 16, 2015
- Swiss immigration restrictions set to curb EU migration - February 13, 2015
- South Korea to discuss safety of emigrants - February 12, 2015