Eurostar Passengers Find Way into UK Through Loophole
Recently, British border officials have been trying their best to seek suspected offenders at the Brussels train station. However, these officials have now been threatened with arrest by Belgian police.
So now the question is: What is this so called loophole? Well, it is actually referred to as the “Lille Loophole.” Pretty much, it allows passengers riding on Eurostar to miss border checks by buying a train ticket from Brussels to Lille in northern France. Then, all the passengers have to do is stay on the train until they get to London.
The UK Border Agency operates border controls in the country of departure. So, if a passenger buys a ticket from Brussels to London, he or she goes through a passport control check. However, if they buy a ticket from Brussels to Lille, which is part of the Schengen zone that allows people to cross members' borders without a check, they do not have to.
Since no one actually checks whether passengers get off at Lille or not, the UK Border Agency does not get to perform checks on board. These passengers can actually get into Britain without having any kind of checks done on them.
- Millions to renounce UK residence if labour win election - April 22, 2015
- More than 300,000 Poles to move to UK - April 20, 2015
- Majority of emigrants find moving overseas tougher than expected - March 9, 2015
- Benefit-claiming Brits in EU countries outnumber immigrants on welfare in the UK - January 22, 2015
- UK: Home Secretary insists work must be done to prevent Jewish emigration - January 19, 2015
- UK: 100 illegal attempts a day to enter country - December 22, 2014
- EU president issues migration warning to UK - December 15, 2014
- Number of Portuguese nurses emigrating to UK soaring - December 8, 2014
- Study reveals top ten overseas retirement destinations for UK citizens - August 6, 2014
- UK court ruling supports UK citizen spousal financial requirements - July 14, 2014
- Malaga attracting foreign buyers once more - May 22, 2015
- Spain joins EU migrant quota opposition - May 21, 2015
- More Brits die in Spain than any other country - May 20, 2015
- Illegal immigrant talks to begin between Malaysia, Bangladesh and Myanmar - May 19, 2015
- Migrant’s Gibraltar Straight bid foiled by Morocco - May 18, 2015
- Large numbers of Hungarians looking to emigrate - May 13, 2015
- Latvian border guards kept busy by illegal immigrants - May 12, 2015
- Refugee crisis forcing people to emigrate - May 11, 2015
- Suspected illegal immigrants found in truck - May 8, 2015
- 7,000 migrants detained in Libya - May 6, 2015