Eurostar Passengers Find Way into UK Through Loophole
Recently, British border officials have been trying their best to seek suspected offenders at the Brussels train station. However, these officials have now been threatened with arrest by Belgian police.
So now the question is: What is this so called loophole? Well, it is actually referred to as the “Lille Loophole.” Pretty much, it allows passengers riding on Eurostar to miss border checks by buying a train ticket from Brussels to Lille in northern France. Then, all the passengers have to do is stay on the train until they get to London.
The UK Border Agency operates border controls in the country of departure. So, if a passenger buys a ticket from Brussels to London, he or she goes through a passport control check. However, if they buy a ticket from Brussels to Lille, which is part of the Schengen zone that allows people to cross members' borders without a check, they do not have to.
Since no one actually checks whether passengers get off at Lille or not, the UK Border Agency does not get to perform checks on board. These passengers can actually get into Britain without having any kind of checks done on them.
- Study reveals top ten overseas retirement destinations for UK citizens - August 6, 2014
- UK court ruling supports UK citizen spousal financial requirements - July 14, 2014
- UK faces brain drain as 70 per cent of recent graduates plan to emigrate - June 30, 2014
- Staggering scale of UK student visa abuse now revealed - June 25, 2014
- UK passport renewals backlog scandal goes viral - June 11, 2014
- UK government loses plot on overseas expat benefit cheats - June 6, 2014
- UK expat in Switzerland takes citizenship due to losing UK vote - May 2, 2014
- Reasons for returnee UK expats include TV and British food - April 25, 2014
- Expat graduates having tough times finding skilled jobs in Canada - April 21, 2014
- Foreign students subjected to stringent checks by UK universities - April 17, 2014
- New Zealand First misses boat as Keys wins third straight term - September 24, 2014
- Canada warns potential immigrants to beware of scams by agents - September 23, 2014
- Reality of Irish Diaspora strikes home as 18 teachers leave small town - September 22, 2014
- Sleepless night for expat Scots ends with overwhelming No vote - September 19, 2014
- Trend in global expat suburbs makes for easier emigration - September 18, 2014
- Pakistani woman facing Sharia death sentence after deportation from Canada - September 18, 2014
- Canada express entry skilled work visa fails to impress migrants - September 16, 2014
- New Zealand jobs fairs in Australia plan to claw back skilled Kiwis - September 15, 2014
- Malaysia joins fight for wealthy investors by offering five year visas - September 12, 2014
- Is Ireland too late to stop its soaring emigration levels - September 11, 2014