Eurostar Passengers Find Way into UK Through Loophole
Recently, British border officials have been trying their best to seek suspected offenders at the Brussels train station. However, these officials have now been threatened with arrest by Belgian police.
So now the question is: What is this so called loophole? Well, it is actually referred to as the “Lille Loophole.” Pretty much, it allows passengers riding on Eurostar to miss border checks by buying a train ticket from Brussels to Lille in northern France. Then, all the passengers have to do is stay on the train until they get to London.
The UK Border Agency operates border controls in the country of departure. So, if a passenger buys a ticket from Brussels to London, he or she goes through a passport control check. However, if they buy a ticket from Brussels to Lille, which is part of the Schengen zone that allows people to cross members' borders without a check, they do not have to.
Since no one actually checks whether passengers get off at Lille or not, the UK Border Agency does not get to perform checks on board. These passengers can actually get into Britain without having any kind of checks done on them.
- EU migrants in UK outstrip number from Caribbean - July 6, 2015
- Lorry migrants in UK passed onto immigration officials - June 20, 2015
- Millions to renounce UK residence if labour win election - April 22, 2015
- More than 300,000 Poles to move to UK - April 20, 2015
- Majority of emigrants find moving overseas tougher than expected - March 9, 2015
- Benefit-claiming Brits in EU countries outnumber immigrants on welfare in the UK - January 22, 2015
- UK: Home Secretary insists work must be done to prevent Jewish emigration - January 19, 2015
- UK: 100 illegal attempts a day to enter country - December 22, 2014
- EU president issues migration warning to UK - December 15, 2014
- Number of Portuguese nurses emigrating to UK soaring - December 8, 2014
- Polish family emigrate to Plymouth after seeing images on Google Street View - July 28, 2015
- Europeans emigrating to Latin America for work - July 24, 2015
- Mexican emigration to US drops dramatically - July 23, 2015
- Turkey: More than 18,500 migrants rescued from Aegean Sea - July 22, 2015
- Egypt deports dozens of Sudanese over attempted illegal immigration - July 21, 2015
- 80% of overseas pension transfer requests fraudulent - July 15, 2015
- Freddie Starr to emigrate to Spain - July 13, 2015
- Immigrant dies attempting to jump onto moving train in Calais - July 11, 2015
- Mediterranean crisis: 500 migrants rescued off Libya - July 10, 2015
- Wealthy South Africans looking towards Malta - July 8, 2015