Church leader: African leaders must address problems that spark emigration
Cardinal Turkson claimed that the continent’s leaders had remained too silent while hundreds of thousands of people desperately attempt to seek a better life overseas. He noted that even though the slave trade had been abolished, millions of Africans continued to take up menial jobs and were exploited abroad.
The church leader went on to say that for African nations, this sowed that human capital remained undeveloped and did not receive sufficient investment. He urged African leaders to come up with proposals to build their countries and provide hope of a better future for young people.
He said that, by nature, some politicians were shortsighted, which was why decent national vision was required to direct politicians’ shortsightedness in order to get somewhere.
Europe is currently dealing with its worst ever migrant crisis, with thousands of people from all over Africa and the Middle East desperately seeking to reach the continent. Many of the migrants flee North Africa in unsafe boats in an attempt to cross Mediterranean Sea, but the journey is treacherous and thousands have perished in recent years.
- Mexican emigration to US drops dramatically - July 23, 2015
- Wealthy South Africans looking towards Malta - July 8, 2015
- More South Africans looking to emigrate - June 19, 2015
- French Jewish emigration to Israel on the decline - June 7, 2015
- Spain down to third most popular emigration destination among brits - April 27, 2015
- Hungarian youths leaving in droves as emigration almost doubles - April 10, 2015
- Large class sizes in Ireland could be address by emigrating teachers - April 9, 2015
- 10% of millionaires from Hong Kong mulling emigration - March 27, 2015
- UK: Home Secretary insists work must be done to prevent Jewish emigration - January 19, 2015
- US-Cuba rumours spark surge in migration - January 6, 2015
- UAE-Indian eMigrate inititative will end exploitation - September 8, 2015
- Egypt seizes vessels with more than 200 migrants - September 7, 2015
- Indian employers angered by eMigrate system - August 18, 2015
- 60 migrants missing off Libya coastline - August 13, 2015
- More illegal immigrants found in lorry in UK - August 11, 2015
- Nine illegal migrants seen exiting truck at Essex shopping centre - August 7, 2015
- PNG government promises Manus alcohol crackdown - August 6, 2015
- British landlords told to evict illegal immigrants - August 5, 2015
- Polish family emigrate to Plymouth after seeing images on Google Street View - July 28, 2015
- Europeans emigrating to Latin America for work - July 24, 2015