Thousands of Jews to quit France for Israel
The Jewish Agency chief Natan Sharansky forecast the record number after four Jews were killed in an attack on the kosher supermarket in the French capital. It is thought that Jewish citizens across Europe are now seriously considering their options amid widespread fears of the level of anti-Semitism.
The agency, which is the official organisation overseeing the migration to Israel, revealed that 15,000 movers would equate to more than double 7,000 French immigrants that moved to Israel last year and nearly five times the number who relocated in 2013.
Following the attack, Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu urged French Jews to make the move, telling them they would be welcomed with open arms.
Since 2012, the number of French Jews moving to Israel has spiraled, with factors including an Islamist attack on a Jewish school in Toulouse in which four people were killed; the rising levels of hostility Jews say they are having to contend with; and a stagnant French economy.
However, a spokesman for the Jewish Agency noted that Sharansky’s prediction was only “preliminary and not a definite”. He explained that he arrived at the number after a huge rise in emigration inquiry calls since the attack.
- One in four young Egyptian males want to quit country - June 12, 2015
- French Jewish emigration to Israel on the decline - June 7, 2015
- Thousands of migrants rescued off North Africa - April 14, 2015
- Denmark’s Jews vow not to emigrate after recent attack - February 16, 2015
- A thousand nurses quit Spain annually seeking employment - February 10, 2015
- North American Jews emigrating to Israel in record numbers - January 3, 2015
- Emigration to Israel of Italian Jews to double this year - November 27, 2014
- Greater number of Israelis seeking emigration to Europe - November 14, 2014
- Thousands of expat Americans renouncing citizenship to avoid new tax laws - June 17, 2014
- Thousands of wealthy Chinese buying their way into New Zealand - April 29, 2014
- UAE-Indian eMigrate inititative will end exploitation - September 8, 2015
- Egypt seizes vessels with more than 200 migrants - September 7, 2015
- Indian employers angered by eMigrate system - August 18, 2015
- Church leader: African leaders must address problems that spark emigration - August 14, 2015
- 60 migrants missing off Libya coastline - August 13, 2015
- More illegal immigrants found in lorry in UK - August 11, 2015
- Nine illegal migrants seen exiting truck at Essex shopping centre - August 7, 2015
- PNG government promises Manus alcohol crackdown - August 6, 2015
- British landlords told to evict illegal immigrants - August 5, 2015
- Polish family emigrate to Plymouth after seeing images on Google Street View - July 28, 2015