North American Jews emigrating to Israel in record numbers
Last year, more than 3,700 Jews from Canada and the US emigrated to Israel, a seven per cent rise in new arrivals from North America, while there was an increase of 32 per cent in the total number of Jews moving to Israel.
It was the first year in which France contributed the most immigrants, with roughly 7,000 people moving from the European country – twice the number that was recorded in 2013.
Meanwhile, there was also an increase of 10 per cent in lone soldiers travelling to Israel to fight with the IDF, with 350 North American-based Jews enrolling in 2014.
The Jewish Agency chairman of the executive Natan Sharansky said that 2014 was a record-breaking year. He noted that for the first time ever, the number of immigrants arriving in the country from the “free world” was higher than the number of people leaving.
Sharansky went on to explain that it showed how Israel was regarded as a good place to live, and proved the success of their efforts to promote the country and strengthen the ties between Israel and Jews living across the globe. He added that he hoped the next government would continue to work with the Jewish Agency in urging more immigrants to move to Israel.
- Europeans emigrating to Latin America for work - July 24, 2015
- Americans want to allow illegal immigrants to stay - June 9, 2015
- French Jewish emigration to Israel on the decline - June 7, 2015
- Large numbers of Hungarians looking to emigrate - May 13, 2015
- Northern Europe luring young South Koreans - April 21, 2015
- Thousands of migrants rescued off North Africa - April 14, 2015
- Large class sizes in Ireland could be address by emigrating teachers - April 9, 2015
- Record low of South Korean emigrants during 2014 - March 18, 2015
- Nez Zealand annual migration rises to record high - February 26, 2015
- Denmark’s Jews vow not to emigrate after recent attack - February 16, 2015
- UAE-Indian eMigrate inititative will end exploitation - September 8, 2015
- Egypt seizes vessels with more than 200 migrants - September 7, 2015
- Indian employers angered by eMigrate system - August 18, 2015
- Church leader: African leaders must address problems that spark emigration - August 14, 2015
- 60 migrants missing off Libya coastline - August 13, 2015
- More illegal immigrants found in lorry in UK - August 11, 2015
- Nine illegal migrants seen exiting truck at Essex shopping centre - August 7, 2015
- PNG government promises Manus alcohol crackdown - August 6, 2015
- British landlords told to evict illegal immigrants - August 5, 2015
- Polish family emigrate to Plymouth after seeing images on Google Street View - July 28, 2015