Arab countries issue warning to citizens in Lebanon
President Bashir al-Assad has been roundly condemned for the violence in Syria and the country has just been told it is not welcome at a meeting of Islamic states in Mecca. Secretary General of the Organisation of Islamic Co-operation, Ekmeleddin Ihsanogly, said any regime responsible for killing its own countrymen is not welcome. Last November Syria was also ejected from the Arab League.
According to an official from the foreign ministry in the UAE, information has been received that UAE nationals are being targeted. Saudi Arabia’s foreign ministry has also reportedly warned citizens against any unnecessary travel to Lebanon.
Refugees of the conflict in Syria have been spilling over the border into Jordan, Iraq, Turkey and Lebanon. However, because Lebanon is already in a delicate state the violence across its border could result in sectarian strife and even civil war, analysts are warning.
There have already been reports of gun battles in the streets of Tripoli between supporters and opponents of the President Assad regime.
- New Zealand issues new rules for international students - October 11, 2013
- Australian opposition leader urges more English testing for citizenship - July 18, 2013
- US immigration bill to help undocumented Irish migrants get citizenship - July 2, 2013
- Australian citizenship denied to Hollywood star Russell Crowe - June 27, 2013
- Canada to lure Silicon Valley techies struggling with immigration issues - May 20, 2013
- Germany reels under surge in immigrants from EU countries - May 10, 2013
- Australia and US issue warning over visa admin scams - April 18, 2013
- Providing undocumented US Immigrants a direct path to citizenship could boost the economy by $1.4 trillion - March 27, 2013
- USA poll indicates two thirds of citizens back immigration reform - March 26, 2013
- Immigration Reform Leading Issue as Obama Takes Oath of Office - January 23, 2013
- Millionaire migrant investors in Quebec soon move elsewhere - December 11, 2013
- UK government urged to intervene on Malta Golden passport scheme - December 10, 2013
- UK state pensioners emigrating overseas must submit proof of being alive - December 9, 2013
- Danish former justice minister calls for grouping of immigrants - December 6, 2013
- Young Irish unemployed told by government to emigrate - December 5, 2013
- Brits eager to emigrate due to unchecked EU immigration - December 4, 2013
- New Zealand Immigration Adviser Act review to improve quality - December 4, 2013
- New survey puts France at top of desirable emigration havens - December 2, 2013
- Survey shows New Zealand emigrants happy with their lot - November 29, 2013
- Spanish residency permits with home purchase plan damaged by demolitions - November 28, 2013