Economic gloom forces Poles to look abroad for jobs
According to the Office for National Statistics in the UK, around one million Poles are living in Britain. The number now calling the UK a permanent home increased from 531,000 in 2009 to 614,000 in 2011.
Experts predict that this number will rise and have estimated that there are currently around 2.5 million Poles with permanent homes outside of Poland.
The National Bank of Poland said that because there has been an increase in Poles choosing to live abroad, the amount of money being sent back home has also risen. The bank said that in the first quarter of this year 928 million euros was sent home compared to 861 million euros transferred during the same three months in 2011.
Krystyna Iglicka-Okolska, migration expert at Warsaw’s Lazarski University, said she was surprised at how many Poles had decided to emigrate, adding that the numbers are expected to rise as those living abroad bring their families over to live with them.
- One third of Poles want to emigrate to find work - April 19, 2013
- Freezing Britain motivates thousands of applications for 6 Oz dream jobs - April 7, 2013
- Australia and New Zealand offer hundreds of jobs for skilled electricians - April 3, 2013
- NZ government report predicts gloomy future for country - January 10, 2013
- Brightest and best are leaving Britain for overseas jobs - November 29, 2012
- Guatemalan private sector plans creation of 1.2 million jobs - October 24, 2012
- Almost half of Irish workers would emigrate for better jobs - October 17, 2012
- INZ set to close local offices and cut jobs - October 13, 2012
- Canada jobs expo tempts young Irish graduates to new life - October 8, 2012
- Emigrating to Canada - jobs available for Canada immigrants - July 11, 2012
- Australia plans to admit 190000 immigrants in 2013 - May 17, 2013
- Merkel urges Germans to accept immigration policy changes - May 16, 2013
- Kiwi lifestyle and higher wages lure highly skilled Brits - May 15, 2013
- Canada ramps up search for skilled immigrants in specific trades - May 14, 2013
- US senator submits game changing bill to repeal FATCA - May 13, 2013
- Germany reels under surge in immigrants from EU countries - May 10, 2013
- Survey confirms emigration of hundreds of thousands of Irish - May 9, 2013
- Australian government to invest AU$ millions in promoting multiculturalism - May 8, 2013
- Immigrant impact on town transformation underscores US visa reform - May 7, 2013
- Expat entrepreneurs in niche markets do well in China - May 6, 2013