Turkey attracting German workers as economy flourishes
Over the last decade Turkey’s GDP has expanded by an average of 5.4 per cent every year. Its public debt is lower than many of the other countries in Europe and inflation is under control. Out of a population of 74 million 60 per cent are under the age of 35. As purchasing power increases so has the demand for goods and services.
Of the 30,000 foreign companies currently operating in Turkey some 5,000 are German and last year the number of German-funded companies establishing themselves in Turkey increased by 14 per cent.
Turkey and Germany have enjoyed a close economic relationship for decades. In the 1960s Turks came in their thousands to Germany to fuel its economic miracle. Some decided to stay and Germany now has a Turkish population of around three million, the largest of any immigrant group.
German companies are currently keen to recruit workers from this population, because they are usually fluent in both Turkish and German and comfortable with both cultures, to work in operations in Turkey.
- Remote New Zealand dairy farms need more migrant workers - November 20, 2013
- Foreign workers cause rising fears over jobs for Australians - November 1, 2013
- South Sudan and Angola capital cities most expensive for migrant oil workers - October 24, 2013
- Diaspora brain drain may be good for Irish economy - October 3, 2013
- MP poll of UK emigrants reveals most are middle income workers - September 6, 2013
- Kiwi immigration webcast hits the spot with Brit construction workers - September 3, 2013
- Canada announces route to permenent residency for graduates and skilled workers - August 19, 2013
- If given the chance would you emigrate to Germany - August 16, 2013
- Canadian foreign service workers selective strike upgrades to walkout - July 30, 2013
- Oz sex worker advocacy group demand 457 visa access for immigrant sex workers - June 11, 2013
- Brits eager to emigrate due to unchecked EU immigration - December 4, 2013
- New Zealand Immigration Adviser Act review to improve quality - December 4, 2013
- New survey puts France at top of desirable emigration havens - December 2, 2013
- Survey shows New Zealand emigrants happy with their lot - November 29, 2013
- Spanish residency permits with home purchase plan damaged by demolitions - November 28, 2013
- Oz immigration exempts skilled migrant jobs from Labour Market Testing - November 28, 2013
- Battle to save asylum seeker baby and his family from deportation - November 28, 2013
- Ontario to expand its Bridge Training Programme to help new immigrants - November 28, 2013
- British expats mostly happy with life overseas - November 28, 2013
- Immigration New Zealand accused of running a visa factory - November 22, 2013