Australians and New Zealanders leave UK for better job opportunities
Research conducted by jobs website, Track Me Back, shows that the single biggest reason for people returning home to New Zealand and Australia is the doom and gloom surrounding the UK economy.
General manager of the site, Caroline Rafferty, said many of the people now returning home left a decade ago with a backpack imagining they would only be gone for a few months. Now they are coming home with their families because the job prospects have vastly improved and the economic outlook is healthy. She added that many felt that they would be able to progress further in their careers if they came home.
According to Home Office statistics, the number of New Zealanders coming to the UK for a job has dropped by 40 per cent over the last three years and the number coming over from Australia is down by 35 per cent over the same period.
In 2007 8,490 New Zealanders were welcomed to the UK for employment. That figure had dropped to 5,210 by 2010. The figure for Australians entering the UK for a job has fallen from 26,500 in 2007 to 17,100 in 2010.
- New Singapore trend features opportunistic expat job hunters - April 12, 2013
- Freezing Britain motivates thousands of applications for 6 Oz dream jobs - April 7, 2013
- Australia and New Zealand offer hundreds of jobs for skilled electricians - April 3, 2013
- Survey shows a quarter of UK millionaires planning emigration - March 7, 2013
- Powerful voices call for seizing of opportunities for immigration reform - March 1, 2013
- American immigration rejects job-creating Canadian nationals - February 21, 2013
- Britain faces brain drain as two million workers leave - February 19, 2013
- UK pension law changes may affect future expat retirees - February 12, 2013
- UK the most popular EU country for migrants - February 7, 2013
- UK Tech industry hopes immigration reform includes entrepreneur visas - February 6, 2013
- Australia plans to admit 190000 immigrants in 2013 - May 17, 2013
- Merkel urges Germans to accept immigration policy changes - May 16, 2013
- Kiwi lifestyle and higher wages lure highly skilled Brits - May 15, 2013
- Canada ramps up search for skilled immigrants in specific trades - May 14, 2013
- US senator submits game changing bill to repeal FATCA - May 13, 2013
- Germany reels under surge in immigrants from EU countries - May 10, 2013
- Survey confirms emigration of hundreds of thousands of Irish - May 9, 2013
- Australian government to invest AU$ millions in promoting multiculturalism - May 8, 2013
- Immigrant impact on town transformation underscores US visa reform - May 7, 2013
- Expat entrepreneurs in niche markets do well in China - May 6, 2013