Spain demands proof of financial stability from expats
Foreigners will now have to show that they will not become a burden on the Spanish government by producing savings documents or a work contract. Those who are planning to retire in Spain will also have to prove that they have adequate health insurance.
Opponents of the new rules claim that they go against the European Union’s principle of free movement. The legislation means that any member of any European country is entitled to health care in any other.
The Spanish government is using article seven of the directive on free movement which was drawn up in 2004. It says that any member of the EU is permitted to define what free movement is as long as it does not prejudice national border controls. This means that the governments of member states are permitted to impose their own restrictions on anybody crossing their borders.
By invoking article seven, the Spanish government is hoping to make savings of around €1 billion each year through not having to supply cheap health care to foreigners. The country is currently very popular with health tourists who come for the cheap treatment, short waiting lists and good hospitals.
- British expats mostly happy with life overseas - November 28, 2013
- Spain the new destination for expat entrepreneurs - November 14, 2013
- UK expats ditch Europe for new retirement havens - November 11, 2013
- Boom in Brit exports to Korea sees expats following the trend - October 29, 2013
- Migration financial planning should include costs of overseas luxuries - September 19, 2013
- New UAE website aims at cultural guidance for expats and immigrants - August 28, 2013
- Obese chef in New Zealand begs for financial assistance to avoid deportation - August 16, 2013
- Destinations for US expats avoiding FATCA are shrinking fast - July 26, 2013
- Half of Silicon Valley top companies founded by expats - July 5, 2013
- Tax friendly Mauritius becoming popular with expats - March 21, 2013
- Danish former justice minister calls for grouping of immigrants - December 6, 2013
- Young Irish unemployed told by government to emigrate - December 5, 2013
- Brits eager to emigrate due to unchecked EU immigration - December 4, 2013
- New Zealand Immigration Adviser Act review to improve quality - December 4, 2013
- New survey puts France at top of desirable emigration havens - December 2, 2013
- Survey shows New Zealand emigrants happy with their lot - November 29, 2013
- Spanish residency permits with home purchase plan damaged by demolitions - November 28, 2013
- Oz immigration exempts skilled migrant jobs from Labour Market Testing - November 28, 2013
- Battle to save asylum seeker baby and his family from deportation - November 28, 2013
- Ontario to expand its Bridge Training Programme to help new immigrants - November 28, 2013