Stark warning against cutting benefits in Londonderry
The Whitehall reforms will see those benefits cut and David Cameron is even proposing to abolish housing allowance for young people after the next general election. The government is also looking into capping the amount of housing support and reducing allowances for people living in social housing if they have a spare room.
Foyle MLA Mark Durkin is calling on Nelson McCausland, Minister for Social Development, and other politicians to stand against the proposals. He said that it was vital that young people are protected against the negative changes to the welfare system.
Mr Durkin explained that everyone would suffer as a result of the changes, especially Derry’s younger population. He added that the removal of housing benefit after 2015 would be nothing short of a catastrophe. Young people do not look to benefits as a lifestyle choice but are forced to it because of a lack of training opportunities and jobs, he continued.
A spokeswoman for Mr McCausland’s department said an executive sub-committee had been set up to look into how the proposals will impact the local community, especially the elderly, the young and those with disabilities.
- Australia and US issue warning over visa admin scams - April 18, 2013
- Arab countries issue warning to citizens in Lebanon - August 17, 2012
- Thousands of Immigrants Wrongly Collect Benefits - January 25, 2012
- UK Border Agency Sends Out Warning of Counterfeit Products - December 8, 2011
- UK Border Agency Issued Warning Over Racism Claims - September 19, 2011
- MPs say Emigration Cap is not the Answer to Cutting Emigration - November 4, 2010
- Government Vows to Fight the European Commission Over Migrant Benefits - September 29, 2010
- Asylum Seekers Receive £13 Million in Benefits Due to Error - August 2, 2010
- Millions Being Paid by British Taxpayers for Emigration Benefits - March 8, 2010
- High Commission issues warning to Ghana fraudsters - January 21, 2010
- Bipartisan immigration reform bill makes it to full Senate - May 23, 2013
- Hong Kong immigrants in Canada rushing to return to Asian homelands - May 22, 2013
- Costa Rica Central Valley becoming the next expat haven - May 21, 2013
- Canada to lure Silicon Valley techies struggling with immigration issues - May 20, 2013
- Australia plans to admit 190000 immigrants in 2013 - May 17, 2013
- Merkel urges Germans to accept immigration policy changes - May 16, 2013
- Kiwi lifestyle and higher wages lure highly skilled Brits - May 15, 2013
- Canada ramps up search for skilled immigrants in specific trades - May 14, 2013
- US senator submits game changing bill to repeal FATCA - May 13, 2013
- Germany reels under surge in immigrants from EU countries - May 10, 2013