Canada issues record number of visas
Jason Kenney, Minister for Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism, said he was not surprised that so many people were applying to cross into Canada as it is the greatest country in the world. He added that the remote wilderness and the vibrant cities were a draw for both visitors from abroad and Canadian residents.
It is currently the peak tourist season in Canada and the country expects to have issued well over 1 million travel visas by the end of 2012.
The figures do not take into account travellers from the fifty or so countries which do not require visas. These visitors account for around 90 per cent of those crossing the border. The numbers also do not include those people who are in Canada as temporary workers or students.
Citizen and Immigration Canada said it will continue to look after its citizens’ safety while making sure that cultural, social and economic prosperity is maintained through one of the world’s most generous immigration programs.
- Canada immigration minister to prioritise reuniting families in 2014 - October 30, 2013
- Recently released report claims immigrants are a fiscal burden to Canada - October 28, 2013
- Australia to fast track millionaire visas - October 23, 2013
- Canada to extend start-up visa to encourage entrepreneurs - October 22, 2013
- New Zealand issues new rules for international students - October 11, 2013
- New study confirms migrants have difficulty getting jobs in Canada - September 27, 2013
- Official worldwide number of migrants swells to over 232 million - September 13, 2013
- Australian universities urge government on stricter vocational training visas - September 2, 2013
- Backpacker working holiday visas make problems for Oz school leavers - August 29, 2013
- Canada to focus on Irish migrants at local job expos - August 26, 2013
- Danish former justice minister calls for grouping of immigrants - December 6, 2013
- Young Irish unemployed told by government to emigrate - December 5, 2013
- Brits eager to emigrate due to unchecked EU immigration - December 4, 2013
- New Zealand Immigration Adviser Act review to improve quality - December 4, 2013
- New survey puts France at top of desirable emigration havens - December 2, 2013
- Survey shows New Zealand emigrants happy with their lot - November 29, 2013
- Spanish residency permits with home purchase plan damaged by demolitions - November 28, 2013
- Oz immigration exempts skilled migrant jobs from Labour Market Testing - November 28, 2013
- Battle to save asylum seeker baby and his family from deportation - November 28, 2013
- Ontario to expand its Bridge Training Programme to help new immigrants - November 28, 2013