New UK citizenship test announced
Theresa May, the Home Secretary, outlined a new proposal last month saying that it was important to know that those wishing to enter the UK spoke the English language and had some knowledge of the history and culture of the country they wanted to settle in.
The new test, which will require applicants to know the first verse of the national anthem, will replace Labour’s citizenship exam which was introduced seven years ago. A spokesman for the Home Office said that making history and culture central to the new test would ensure that those entering the UK were capable of properly integrating.
Under Tony Blair the emphasis was on groups in the UK establishing their own identities instead of having to know about a history which was considered in part racist and discriminatory. Mrs May prefers to call the history of the UK ‘illustrious’.
New settlers will have to have at least some knowledge of writers including Thomas Hardy, Charles Dickens and Jane Austin as well as artists including Constable, Turner and Gainsborough.
- EU member states protest benefit tourism linked to free movement - May 3, 2013
- Rock of Gibraltar to become latest haven for wealthy migrants - May 1, 2013
- Providing undocumented US Immigrants a direct path to citizenship could boost the economy by $1.4 trillion - March 27, 2013
- Survey shows a quarter of UK millionaires planning emigration - March 7, 2013
- UK pension law changes may affect future expat retirees - February 12, 2013
- UK the most popular EU country for migrants - February 7, 2013
- UK Tech industry hopes immigration reform includes entrepreneur visas - February 6, 2013
- Sarkozy latest wealthy Frenchman planning emigration to evade rich tax - January 23, 2013
- Survey finds 79 percent of UK migrants wont return - January 21, 2013
- UK expat trapped in Thailand due to legal chaos - January 16, 2013
- Australia plans to admit 190000 immigrants in 2013 - May 17, 2013
- Merkel urges Germans to accept immigration policy changes - May 16, 2013
- Kiwi lifestyle and higher wages lure highly skilled Brits - May 15, 2013
- Canada ramps up search for skilled immigrants in specific trades - May 14, 2013
- US senator submits game changing bill to repeal FATCA - May 13, 2013
- Germany reels under surge in immigrants from EU countries - May 10, 2013
- Survey confirms emigration of hundreds of thousands of Irish - May 9, 2013
- Australian government to invest AU$ millions in promoting multiculturalism - May 8, 2013
- Immigrant impact on town transformation underscores US visa reform - May 7, 2013
- Expat entrepreneurs in niche markets do well in China - May 6, 2013