Expert says learn host language before moving overseas
Lindsay de Feliz, who is marketing manager with Expat Focus, encourages to chose the method of learning that suits them best in acquiring some language skills, giving a variety of suggestions for those considering relocating abroad.
Some people learn best face-to-face, while others prefer reading material. Many people prefer a computer or television programme. Some people fare better learning solo, while others prefer learning in groups, she explained.
De Feliz added that for those deciding to purchase property via an international money transfer, trying to become more proficient in the target language is a great way to make new friends. Attending language schools or finding a private tutor gives expats the opportunity to mingle with new people in a new land, with several of the students often expats themselves, says the marketing manager.
Expats should practice new vocabulary on a daily basis, added de Feliz, who explained that this would boost memory and confidence. People should remember that local people often appreciate it when outsiders attempt to speak the local tongue, whatever the language skills of the speaker. This shows that the expat respects the local culture and wishes to get involved in the community.
De Feliz recently counseled prospective buyers to prepare themselves before making the major move, advising them to spend six months in the country before purchasing a home there.
- British expats mostly happy with life overseas - November 28, 2013
- Experts believe Russia should modify its immigration policy - October 21, 2013
- Canadian overseas mission staff end six month strike - October 2, 2013
- Migration financial planning should include costs of overseas luxuries - September 19, 2013
- Migrants advised to check overseas healthcare costs before leaving - September 12, 2013
- Chinese immigration experts call for laws governing private visa agencies - July 23, 2013
- Expat group claims IRS is targeting Americans living overseas - June 13, 2013
- Top Chinese engineers and computer scientists emigrating overseas - June 6, 2013
- Survey shows international companies plan to increase overseas assignments - April 22, 2013
- Entry charges mooted for overseas migrants coming to Britain - March 12, 2013
- Danish former justice minister calls for grouping of immigrants - December 6, 2013
- Young Irish unemployed told by government to emigrate - December 5, 2013
- Brits eager to emigrate due to unchecked EU immigration - December 4, 2013
- New Zealand Immigration Adviser Act review to improve quality - December 4, 2013
- New survey puts France at top of desirable emigration havens - December 2, 2013
- Survey shows New Zealand emigrants happy with their lot - November 29, 2013
- Spanish residency permits with home purchase plan damaged by demolitions - November 28, 2013
- Oz immigration exempts skilled migrant jobs from Labour Market Testing - November 28, 2013
- Battle to save asylum seeker baby and his family from deportation - November 28, 2013
- Ontario to expand its Bridge Training Programme to help new immigrants - November 28, 2013