UK emigrant may take case for British expats voting in UK elections to UN
In 2009, Harry Shindler took his campaign to the European Court of Human Rights; a decision is due to arrive within the next few months.
However, if the WWII veteran is not successful, he is ready to take his file of evidence to the United Nations for a verdict on human rights implications.
It is not “a small matter”, argues Mr Shindler, as it has an impact on one million British nationals. There were “hundreds of thousands” of young people who died in World War II so Britons could vote, he says. He was there, he adds.
During the war, people did not know that one day there would be a government which would say they could not vote, said the war veteran. Under British law, expats who have lived overseas for over 15 years are not able to vote in UK elections.
Harry Shindler has not had the right to vote in UK elections since 1997. In 1982, he moved to Italy in order to be near his grandson. However, he cannot vote there either.
- Tax friendly Mauritius becoming popular with expats - March 21, 2013
- Expats in Cyprus in shock over government savings grab - March 18, 2013
- Survey shows a quarter of UK millionaires planning emigration - March 7, 2013
- Expats discover value for money in Vienna real estate - February 28, 2013
- Russia introduces raft of relaxed immigration laws for expats - February 14, 2013
- Far East to become magnet for talented expats - February 13, 2013
- UK pension law changes may affect future expat retirees - February 12, 2013
- Plummeting Polish property prices give hope to potential expats - February 11, 2013
- UK the most popular EU country for migrants - February 7, 2013
- UK Tech industry hopes immigration reform includes entrepreneur visas - February 6, 2013
- Australia plans to admit 190000 immigrants in 2013 - May 17, 2013
- Merkel urges Germans to accept immigration policy changes - May 16, 2013
- Kiwi lifestyle and higher wages lure highly skilled Brits - May 15, 2013
- Canada ramps up search for skilled immigrants in specific trades - May 14, 2013
- US senator submits game changing bill to repeal FATCA - May 13, 2013
- Germany reels under surge in immigrants from EU countries - May 10, 2013
- Survey confirms emigration of hundreds of thousands of Irish - May 9, 2013
- Australian government to invest AU$ millions in promoting multiculturalism - May 8, 2013
- Immigrant impact on town transformation underscores US visa reform - May 7, 2013
- Expat entrepreneurs in niche markets do well in China - May 6, 2013