UK intelligence says expat Neil Heywood was not a spy
However, Mr Hague stated that it was appropriate due to the "press speculation" over Mr Heywood.
Authorities in China have opened up an investigation into the murder. Gu Kailai--wife of ex party leader Bo Xilai--is now being held as a suspect in the incident. The 41-year-old UK businessman was discovered dead in a Chongqing hotel room, on November 15, 2012. Local officials first said he had died of excessive alcohol consumption.
Ever since then, speculation in the media has flourished about whether Mr Heywood was connected to the intelligence services. In a letter to the chairman of the UK Commons Foreign Affairs Select Committee, William Hague took the very unusual decision to confirm that Mr Heywood was in fact not a British agent.
- Expat entrepreneurs in niche markets do well in China - May 6, 2013
- US expat calls for New Zealand retiree tax haven visa system - April 29, 2013
- New Singapore trend features opportunistic expat job hunters - April 12, 2013
- Chinese returnees forcing expat workers from Shanghai and Beijing - April 10, 2013
- Expat tax exemption attracts wealthy pensioners to Portugal - March 29, 2013
- Tax friendly Mauritius becoming popular with expats - March 21, 2013
- Expats in Cyprus in shock over government savings grab - March 18, 2013
- Survey shows a quarter of UK millionaires planning emigration - March 7, 2013
- Middle Eastern and North African companies increase expat hiring - March 4, 2013
- Expats discover value for money in Vienna real estate - February 28, 2013
- Canada to lure Silicon Valley techies struggling with immigration issues - May 20, 2013
- Australia plans to admit 190000 immigrants in 2013 - May 17, 2013
- Merkel urges Germans to accept immigration policy changes - May 16, 2013
- Kiwi lifestyle and higher wages lure highly skilled Brits - May 15, 2013
- Canada ramps up search for skilled immigrants in specific trades - May 14, 2013
- US senator submits game changing bill to repeal FATCA - May 13, 2013
- Germany reels under surge in immigrants from EU countries - May 10, 2013
- Survey confirms emigration of hundreds of thousands of Irish - May 9, 2013
- Australian government to invest AU$ millions in promoting multiculturalism - May 8, 2013
- Immigrant impact on town transformation underscores US visa reform - May 7, 2013