UK Border Agency Raids Hamleys Toy Store in Central London
The Border Agency executed a warrant at the store at around 7:30 local time to examine staff records and check that staff had a UK Visa or a right to work in the UK permit. After this was done, four people were arrested. Two of them were Brazilian males. Another was a Nigerian man and a Ghanaian woman. They were all cleaners and believed to have been working for the contractor company, Crystal Cleaning Services.
All of the people were arrested for UK emigration offenses. Actions will now be taken to remove them from the UK. Their employer could now face a fine of up to £10,000 per illegal worker. To avoid this fine, they need to be able to prove that they carried out the correct right to work checks on their staff.
The assistant director at the UK Border Agency, Tony Moore, said that this is the latest operation that they had carried out to tackle emigration crimes in central London. They are planning to do more of these raids in the coming weeks and months. Any companies breaking the law should be on the lookout. They are going to find people who are in the UK illegally and seek to remove them. The companies that have been paying them and did not do the proper checks will be fined for doing so.
He finished up by saying that illegal working has a serious impact on communities. It takes jobs from those who are genuinely around to work in the UK.
- UK government should focus on frozen pensions scandal not winter fuel payment - November 15, 2013
- UK expats ditch Europe for new retirement havens - November 11, 2013
- Tough UK government bill aims at curbing immigration - October 14, 2013
- Top UK politician warns of migrants recreating their cultures in Britain - September 26, 2013
- New Zealand PM tasks UK government over unfair visa restrictions for Kiwis - September 24, 2013
- Survey reveals UK brain drain is likely to be irreversible - September 18, 2013
- MP poll of UK emigrants reveals most are middle income workers - September 6, 2013
- UK emigrant dilemmas over when to sell property - September 5, 2013
- Kiwis call for open door policy for immigrants to the UK - August 30, 2013
- New breed of UK migrants heads away from Europe - August 14, 2013
- Danish former justice minister calls for grouping of immigrants - December 6, 2013
- Young Irish unemployed told by government to emigrate - December 5, 2013
- Brits eager to emigrate due to unchecked EU immigration - December 4, 2013
- New Zealand Immigration Adviser Act review to improve quality - December 4, 2013
- New survey puts France at top of desirable emigration havens - December 2, 2013
- Survey shows New Zealand emigrants happy with their lot - November 29, 2013
- Spanish residency permits with home purchase plan damaged by demolitions - November 28, 2013
- Oz immigration exempts skilled migrant jobs from Labour Market Testing - November 28, 2013
- Battle to save asylum seeker baby and his family from deportation - November 28, 2013
- Ontario to expand its Bridge Training Programme to help new immigrants - November 28, 2013