Failed UK Asylum Seeker Jailed for Killing Elderly Pedestrian
Olive Stephens, age 91, is a widow and was left with multiple fractures. She later died from her injuries following the accident in Leeds back in 2006. During this time, Xue, fled the country. He had tried and failed on two occasions to stay in the UK. He was somehow able to flee the country despite a nationwide appeal to trace him.
He was found nearly four years later hiding in a cupboard above Zen Zen takeaway in Blackburn. Leeds Crown Court was told that Xue was found hiding in a built in cupboard behind some clothes on January 15th this year.
The victim was described as being fit as a fiddle. She often laughed and joked with her friends. She lived in sheltered accommodations, and on the day of the accident she had been out for lunch at a Salvation Army Church.
Xue, who had just been to a job interview at a Chinese takeaway in Beeston, reversed out of a side street into the main road. This is where he knocked over the old woman. The reversing maneuver was described as very dangerous.
The court was told that Xue did not realize he had struck anybody and panicked when a nationwide appeal to find him was made. However, the court was also told he should have been aware of something under the car as it traveled.
- Survey shows a quarter of UK millionaires planning emigration - March 7, 2013
- UK pension law changes may affect future expat retirees - February 12, 2013
- UK the most popular EU country for migrants - February 7, 2013
- UK Tech industry hopes immigration reform includes entrepreneur visas - February 6, 2013
- Survey finds 79 percent of UK migrants wont return - January 21, 2013
- UK expat trapped in Thailand due to legal chaos - January 16, 2013
- Increased emigration linked to poor UK job prospects - January 7, 2013
- UK census highlights demographic effects of soaring immigration - December 12, 2012
- Highly qualified Ukrainian graduates desperate to work abroad - December 5, 2012
- UK net migration figure slumps to below 200,000 - November 30, 2012
- Australia plans to admit 190000 immigrants in 2013 - May 17, 2013
- Merkel urges Germans to accept immigration policy changes - May 16, 2013
- Kiwi lifestyle and higher wages lure highly skilled Brits - May 15, 2013
- Canada ramps up search for skilled immigrants in specific trades - May 14, 2013
- US senator submits game changing bill to repeal FATCA - May 13, 2013
- Germany reels under surge in immigrants from EU countries - May 10, 2013
- Survey confirms emigration of hundreds of thousands of Irish - May 9, 2013
- Australian government to invest AU$ millions in promoting multiculturalism - May 8, 2013
- Immigrant impact on town transformation underscores US visa reform - May 7, 2013
- Expat entrepreneurs in niche markets do well in China - May 6, 2013