Human Rights Group Says Britain is Wrong to Return Asylum Seekers to Iraq
The campaign body said that there have been more than 100 civilian deaths in the first week of this month alone. Now with religious and ethnic minorities, women and gay men are being particularly targeted. Amnesty International is calling for the return of failed asylum seekers only when the security situation in the whole country is stabilized.
The groups report claims that hundreds of thousands of people in minority communities have been forced to flee their homes as a result of the continuing insecurity more than seven years after the United States led invasion. This does include thousands of Christians, as well as many members of the Sabean Mandaean religion, Yazidis and women and girls, being targeted for un-Islamic behavior. Amnesty International said that many of these people are at risk of being killed. This includes dozens of women murdered in Basra on moral grounds and at least 25 men and boys thought to be gay were killed in February of last year.
The Amnesty's Middle East Director, Malcolm Smart, said that Iraqis are still living in a climate of fear, even seven years after the United States led invasion. The uncertainty is threatening to make a bad situation even worse. Both Iraqi authorities and the international community must act now to prevent more unnecessary deaths.
- USA immigration reform is now a womens rights issue - January 22, 2014
- Aussie psychotherapist wrongly refused UK long-stay visa - January 21, 2014
- Irish emigrant group campaigns for migrants right to vote - December 21, 2013
- Danish former justice minister calls for grouping of immigrants - December 6, 2013
- Battle to save asylum seeker baby and his family from deportation - November 28, 2013
- Wrongly deported family can return but must pay CA$6000 deportation costs - October 25, 2013
- Top UK politician warns of migrants recreating their cultures in Britain - September 26, 2013
- Expat group claims IRS is targeting Americans living overseas - June 13, 2013
- Oz sex worker advocacy group demand 457 visa access for immigrant sex workers - June 11, 2013
- Hong Kong immigrants in Canada rushing to return to Asian homelands - May 22, 2013
- Chinese CPPCC official believes China needs more expats - March 11, 2014
- UAE drop in expat salaries may threaten executive level emigration - March 11, 2014
- Canada scrapped millionaire visa may provoke lawsuit - March 7, 2014
- Canada visa system threatens another ethnic restaurateur - March 6, 2014
- Chinese millionaires complain as Canada entry route is blocked - March 5, 2014
- 3000 Brit builders helping reconstruct Christchurch - March 4, 2014
- Controversial changes to Norway immigration rules - March 3, 2014
- EU parliament descends into shouting match over Swiss immigration vote - February 28, 2014
- Canada toughens up on citizenship requirements - February 27, 2014
- Latest New Zealand statistics offer snapshot of Kiwi life - February 26, 2014