Human Rights Group Says Britain is Wrong to Return Asylum Seekers to Iraq
The campaign body said that there have been more than 100 civilian deaths in the first week of this month alone. Now with religious and ethnic minorities, women and gay men are being particularly targeted. Amnesty International is calling for the return of failed asylum seekers only when the security situation in the whole country is stabilized.
The groups report claims that hundreds of thousands of people in minority communities have been forced to flee their homes as a result of the continuing insecurity more than seven years after the United States led invasion. This does include thousands of Christians, as well as many members of the Sabean Mandaean religion, Yazidis and women and girls, being targeted for un-Islamic behavior. Amnesty International said that many of these people are at risk of being killed. This includes dozens of women murdered in Basra on moral grounds and at least 25 men and boys thought to be gay were killed in February of last year.
The Amnesty's Middle East Director, Malcolm Smart, said that Iraqis are still living in a climate of fear, even seven years after the United States led invasion. The uncertainty is threatening to make a bad situation even worse. Both Iraqi authorities and the international community must act now to prevent more unnecessary deaths.
- Australian activists halt asylum seeker deportation - February 3, 2015
- More Central Americans emigrate to US than any other group - January 1, 2015
- Female migrants to UAE warned by Human Rights Watch - August 6, 2014
- Reasons for returnee UK expats include TV and British food - April 25, 2014
- Returning Irish taking advantage of low land prices by buying ahead - April 14, 2014
- US immigration activist group gives Pope letters from children - March 28, 2014
- Irish group urges support for US immigration reform on St Patrick’s Day - March 18, 2014
- USA immigration reform is now a womens rights issue - January 22, 2014
- Aussie psychotherapist wrongly refused UK long-stay visa - January 21, 2014
- Irish emigrant group campaigns for migrants right to vote - December 21, 2013
- More than 500,000 new migrants in England since 2011 - March 6, 2015
- Singapore world’s most expensive city - March 5, 2015
- British retirees keen to emigrate, financial vehicles encouraging move - March 4, 2015
- British expats better paid and healthier, work longer hours - February 27, 2015
- Nez Zealand annual migration rises to record high - February 26, 2015
- Mexican authorities arrest 54 illegal migrants - February 25, 2015
- More Hong Kongers seeking to emigrate to Taiwan - February 24, 2015
- EU wants Bangladesh to do more to curb illegal migration - February 23, 2015
- Italian coastguard rescues more than 200 migrants fleeing Libya - February 20, 2015
- World’s Best Irish Pub: US leading the way - February 19, 2015