Human Rights Group Says Britain is Wrong to Return Asylum Seekers to Iraq
The campaign body said that there have been more than 100 civilian deaths in the first week of this month alone. Now with religious and ethnic minorities, women and gay men are being particularly targeted. Amnesty International is calling for the return of failed asylum seekers only when the security situation in the whole country is stabilized.
The groups report claims that hundreds of thousands of people in minority communities have been forced to flee their homes as a result of the continuing insecurity more than seven years after the United States led invasion. This does include thousands of Christians, as well as many members of the Sabean Mandaean religion, Yazidis and women and girls, being targeted for un-Islamic behavior. Amnesty International said that many of these people are at risk of being killed. This includes dozens of women murdered in Basra on moral grounds and at least 25 men and boys thought to be gay were killed in February of last year.
The Amnesty's Middle East Director, Malcolm Smart, said that Iraqis are still living in a climate of fear, even seven years after the United States led invasion. The uncertainty is threatening to make a bad situation even worse. Both Iraqi authorities and the international community must act now to prevent more unnecessary deaths.
- More Central Americans emigrate to US than any other group - January 1, 2015
- Female migrants to UAE warned by Human Rights Watch - August 6, 2014
- Reasons for returnee UK expats include TV and British food - April 25, 2014
- Returning Irish taking advantage of low land prices by buying ahead - April 14, 2014
- US immigration activist group gives Pope letters from children - March 28, 2014
- Irish group urges support for US immigration reform on St Patrick’s Day - March 18, 2014
- USA immigration reform is now a womens rights issue - January 22, 2014
- Aussie psychotherapist wrongly refused UK long-stay visa - January 21, 2014
- Irish emigrant group campaigns for migrants right to vote - December 21, 2013
- Danish former justice minister calls for grouping of immigrants - December 6, 2013
- 24 Irish emigrants faced deportation from Australia after roof-fixing scam - January 30, 2015
- Immigrants heading to Panama - January 29, 2015
- Australians emigrating to London to fill paramedic vacancies - January 27, 2015
- Haitians desperately looking to emigrate to Dominican Republic - January 26, 2015
- Suicide attempts in Australia’s PNG detention centre - January 23, 2015
- Mancunians among Brits most likely to emigrate to New Zealand - January 22, 2015
- Benefit-claiming Brits in EU countries outnumber immigrants on welfare in the UK - January 22, 2015
- Cambodia-Australia refugee deal gets international backing - January 20, 2015
- UK: Home Secretary insists work must be done to prevent Jewish emigration - January 19, 2015
- One in 20 Brits plan to emigrate - January 16, 2015