Human Rights Group Says Britain is Wrong to Return Asylum Seekers to Iraq
The campaign body said that there have been more than 100 civilian deaths in the first week of this month alone. Now with religious and ethnic minorities, women and gay men are being particularly targeted. Amnesty International is calling for the return of failed asylum seekers only when the security situation in the whole country is stabilized.
The groups report claims that hundreds of thousands of people in minority communities have been forced to flee their homes as a result of the continuing insecurity more than seven years after the United States led invasion. This does include thousands of Christians, as well as many members of the Sabean Mandaean religion, Yazidis and women and girls, being targeted for un-Islamic behavior. Amnesty International said that many of these people are at risk of being killed. This includes dozens of women murdered in Basra on moral grounds and at least 25 men and boys thought to be gay were killed in February of last year.
The Amnesty's Middle East Director, Malcolm Smart, said that Iraqis are still living in a climate of fear, even seven years after the United States led invasion. The uncertainty is threatening to make a bad situation even worse. Both Iraqi authorities and the international community must act now to prevent more unnecessary deaths.
- Authorities catch group trafficking Afghans to Europe - May 29, 2015
- Spanish association joins expat groups to fight property laws - May 27, 2015
- Irish government expects more emigrants to return - May 5, 2015
- Employment report shows more Irish emigrants seeking to return for work - April 23, 2015
- Emigrants want Ryanair to reduce flights for returning to vote - April 7, 2015
- ‘Lost Generation’ of 5,000 people will not return from Canada - March 19, 2015
- Australian activists halt asylum seeker deportation - February 3, 2015
- More Central Americans emigrate to US than any other group - January 1, 2015
- Female migrants to UAE warned by Human Rights Watch - August 6, 2014
- Reasons for returnee UK expats include TV and British food - April 25, 2014
- Polish family emigrate to Plymouth after seeing images on Google Street View - July 28, 2015
- Europeans emigrating to Latin America for work - July 24, 2015
- Mexican emigration to US drops dramatically - July 23, 2015
- Turkey: More than 18,500 migrants rescued from Aegean Sea - July 22, 2015
- Egypt deports dozens of Sudanese over attempted illegal immigration - July 21, 2015
- 80% of overseas pension transfer requests fraudulent - July 15, 2015
- Freddie Starr to emigrate to Spain - July 13, 2015
- Immigrant dies attempting to jump onto moving train in Calais - July 11, 2015
- Mediterranean crisis: 500 migrants rescued off Libya - July 10, 2015
- Wealthy South Africans looking towards Malta - July 8, 2015