Korea shuts down Visa Waiver program with Bangladesh
Due to an increasing number of visitors from Bangladesh staying long pass their welcome, the Korean government on Monday decided to put on hold its program involving visa waivers with the nation of Bangladesh starting on July fifteenth. The waiver program was available to short cycle the visa application process for those who qualify however now with the plan being suspended, all travelers who plan to enter the countries will now need to get a visa.
The visa waiver program has been working for both countries since agreed to in 1983 however the number of immigrants staying past their expiration has raised concerns in the nations and decided to take action. Song Soyoung who is a justice official in Korea commented “The suspension will continue till the current rate of illegal residents from Bangladesh drops below acceptable levels.” Based on the numbers provided by the Justice ministry, they stated 12,678 citizens of Bangladesh were currently in the country of Korea and of that number, seventy eight percent of them had stayed long past their visa expiration period. This ratio of illegal residents to visa’s issued is Koreas largest amount followed by Peruvian and then Kyrgyzstanians.
Soyoung commented, “Most of them overstaying their visas work at factories. The refusal of entry rate for Bangladeshis is also very high which played a critical role in the suspension.” Of all Koreans trying to get visas to enter Bangladesh last year, eighteen percent of them had been refused.
- Ontario to expand its Bridge Training Programme to help new immigrants - November 28, 2013
- Immigration New Zealand accused of running a visa factory - November 22, 2013
- Canadian government plans to fast track Filipino visa applications - November 20, 2013
- Immigration New Zealand warns of increasing visa scams - November 18, 2013
- Boom in Brit exports to Korea sees expats following the trend - October 29, 2013
- Australia to fast track millionaire visas - October 23, 2013
- Canada to extend start-up visa to encourage entrepreneurs - October 22, 2013
- US visa delays expected as a result of shutdown - October 2, 2013
- New Zealand PM tasks UK government over unfair visa restrictions for Kiwis - September 24, 2013
- US visa scammers targeting immigrants again - September 17, 2013
- Millionaire migrant investors in Quebec soon move elsewhere - December 11, 2013
- UK government urged to intervene on Malta Golden passport scheme - December 10, 2013
- UK state pensioners emigrating overseas must submit proof of being alive - December 9, 2013
- Danish former justice minister calls for grouping of immigrants - December 6, 2013
- Young Irish unemployed told by government to emigrate - December 5, 2013
- Brits eager to emigrate due to unchecked EU immigration - December 4, 2013
- New Zealand Immigration Adviser Act review to improve quality - December 4, 2013
- New survey puts France at top of desirable emigration havens - December 2, 2013
- Survey shows New Zealand emigrants happy with their lot - November 29, 2013
- Spanish residency permits with home purchase plan damaged by demolitions - November 28, 2013