Chancellor Alistair Darling Announces the 2010 UK Budget
First of all, something that effects just about everyone in the UK, is a planned 2.76p increase in fuel duty. This is set to start next month, but will be phased in to help reduce the impact on the economy. This new move, which is already expected to add more than £2 to the cost of refilling a large car, is set to rise by 1p in April, 1p in October, and the remaining 0.76p in January of 2011. Darling said that, by the time the full duty increase comes into effect, it should be right in line with inflation.
This new decision follows a warning from the AA last week that said petrol prices were on track to hit a record high of 124p a liter by Easter. The average price of petrol has shot up 4p a liter in the past month. This is its highest level since July of 2008.
The new budget will also see a crack down on tax avoiders who try to hide their income in tax haves offshore. These tax cheaters have been targeted with a wide ranging package of anti-avoidance measures, which will raise £500 million and protect tax revenues of £4 billion.
To help identify the people that are using these havens, the government has signed a new tax information exchange agreement with three well known havens: Grenada, Belize, and Dominica. An enhanced information exchange agreement has been signed with Liechtenstein, and the chancellor said the other 3 new agreements will be signed within a few days.
- Survey shows a quarter of UK millionaires planning emigration - March 7, 2013
- UK pension law changes may affect future expat retirees - February 12, 2013
- UK the most popular EU country for migrants - February 7, 2013
- UK Tech industry hopes immigration reform includes entrepreneur visas - February 6, 2013
- Survey finds 79 percent of UK migrants wont return - January 21, 2013
- UK expat trapped in Thailand due to legal chaos - January 16, 2013
- Increased emigration linked to poor UK job prospects - January 7, 2013
- UK census highlights demographic effects of soaring immigration - December 12, 2012
- Highly qualified Ukrainian graduates desperate to work abroad - December 5, 2012
- UK net migration figure slumps to below 200,000 - November 30, 2012
- Australia plans to admit 190000 immigrants in 2013 - May 17, 2013
- Merkel urges Germans to accept immigration policy changes - May 16, 2013
- Kiwi lifestyle and higher wages lure highly skilled Brits - May 15, 2013
- Canada ramps up search for skilled immigrants in specific trades - May 14, 2013
- US senator submits game changing bill to repeal FATCA - May 13, 2013
- Germany reels under surge in immigrants from EU countries - May 10, 2013
- Survey confirms emigration of hundreds of thousands of Irish - May 9, 2013
- Australian government to invest AU$ millions in promoting multiculturalism - May 8, 2013
- Immigrant impact on town transformation underscores US visa reform - May 7, 2013
- Expat entrepreneurs in niche markets do well in China - May 6, 2013