Chancellor Alistair Darling Announces the 2010 UK Budget
First of all, something that effects just about everyone in the UK, is a planned 2.76p increase in fuel duty. This is set to start next month, but will be phased in to help reduce the impact on the economy. This new move, which is already expected to add more than £2 to the cost of refilling a large car, is set to rise by 1p in April, 1p in October, and the remaining 0.76p in January of 2011. Darling said that, by the time the full duty increase comes into effect, it should be right in line with inflation.
This new decision follows a warning from the AA last week that said petrol prices were on track to hit a record high of 124p a liter by Easter. The average price of petrol has shot up 4p a liter in the past month. This is its highest level since July of 2008.
The new budget will also see a crack down on tax avoiders who try to hide their income in tax haves offshore. These tax cheaters have been targeted with a wide ranging package of anti-avoidance measures, which will raise £500 million and protect tax revenues of £4 billion.
To help identify the people that are using these havens, the government has signed a new tax information exchange agreement with three well known havens: Grenada, Belize, and Dominica. An enhanced information exchange agreement has been signed with Liechtenstein, and the chancellor said the other 3 new agreements will be signed within a few days.
- Study reveals top ten overseas retirement destinations for UK citizens - August 6, 2014
- UK court ruling supports UK citizen spousal financial requirements - July 14, 2014
- New Zealand announces nationwide provider centres for settlement advice - July 1, 2014
- UK faces brain drain as 70 per cent of recent graduates plan to emigrate - June 30, 2014
- Staggering scale of UK student visa abuse now revealed - June 25, 2014
- UK passport renewals backlog scandal goes viral - June 11, 2014
- UK government loses plot on overseas expat benefit cheats - June 6, 2014
- UK expat in Switzerland takes citizenship due to losing UK vote - May 2, 2014
- Reasons for returnee UK expats include TV and British food - April 25, 2014
- Foreign students subjected to stringent checks by UK universities - April 17, 2014
- Canada express entry skilled work visa fails to impress migrants - September 16, 2014
- New Zealand jobs fairs in Australia plan to claw back skilled Kiwis - September 15, 2014
- Malaysia joins fight for wealthy investors by offering five year visas - September 12, 2014
- Is Ireland too late to stop its soaring emigration levels - September 11, 2014
- New Zealand to introduce simpler process for student visas - September 10, 2014
- Is Chinese investment immigration the next big exodus - September 9, 2014
- Cyprus losing Brits and gaining Russians and Chinese migrants - September 8, 2014
- Is migrating to Australia bad for expat health - September 5, 2014
- Expat Scots scared by thought of becoming illegal immigrants - September 4, 2014
- GP famine hits Ireland as family doctors and graduates emigrate - September 3, 2014