Chancellor Alistair Darling Announces the 2010 UK Budget
First of all, something that effects just about everyone in the UK, is a planned 2.76p increase in fuel duty. This is set to start next month, but will be phased in to help reduce the impact on the economy. This new move, which is already expected to add more than £2 to the cost of refilling a large car, is set to rise by 1p in April, 1p in October, and the remaining 0.76p in January of 2011. Darling said that, by the time the full duty increase comes into effect, it should be right in line with inflation.
This new decision follows a warning from the AA last week that said petrol prices were on track to hit a record high of 124p a liter by Easter. The average price of petrol has shot up 4p a liter in the past month. This is its highest level since July of 2008.
The new budget will also see a crack down on tax avoiders who try to hide their income in tax haves offshore. These tax cheaters have been targeted with a wide ranging package of anti-avoidance measures, which will raise £500 million and protect tax revenues of £4 billion.
To help identify the people that are using these havens, the government has signed a new tax information exchange agreement with three well known havens: Grenada, Belize, and Dominica. An enhanced information exchange agreement has been signed with Liechtenstein, and the chancellor said the other 3 new agreements will be signed within a few days.
- Study reveals top ten overseas retirement destinations for UK citizens - August 6, 2014
- UK court ruling supports UK citizen spousal financial requirements - July 14, 2014
- New Zealand announces nationwide provider centres for settlement advice - July 1, 2014
- UK faces brain drain as 70 per cent of recent graduates plan to emigrate - June 30, 2014
- Staggering scale of UK student visa abuse now revealed - June 25, 2014
- UK passport renewals backlog scandal goes viral - June 11, 2014
- UK government loses plot on overseas expat benefit cheats - June 6, 2014
- UK expat in Switzerland takes citizenship due to losing UK vote - May 2, 2014
- Reasons for returnee UK expats include TV and British food - April 25, 2014
- Foreign students subjected to stringent checks by UK universities - April 17, 2014
- Retired Aussies head for Southeast Asian expat hotspots - September 1, 2014
- Is the dream fading for young Irish migrants in Australia - August 25, 2014
- Continued rise in Kiwi immigration totals sparks political fight - August 22, 2014
- Canadian small towns hoping immigrants will replace exodus to cities - August 21, 2014
- New Zealand government offers new immigration advisor guide - August 21, 2014
- Canadian immigration issues first entrepreneur start-up visas - August 19, 2014
- Scotland shaping up as immigration destination for other Brits - August 18, 2014
- Saudi losing skilled expats due to Saudization four year visa rule - August 15, 2014
- Canada Silicon Valley North benefits from delay in US immigration reform - August 14, 2014
- Thai surrogate twins issue reveals Australia rejects Downs Syndrome migrants - August 14, 2014