Chancellor Alistair Darling Announces the 2010 UK Budget
First of all, something that effects just about everyone in the UK, is a planned 2.76p increase in fuel duty. This is set to start next month, but will be phased in to help reduce the impact on the economy. This new move, which is already expected to add more than £2 to the cost of refilling a large car, is set to rise by 1p in April, 1p in October, and the remaining 0.76p in January of 2011. Darling said that, by the time the full duty increase comes into effect, it should be right in line with inflation.
This new decision follows a warning from the AA last week that said petrol prices were on track to hit a record high of 124p a liter by Easter. The average price of petrol has shot up 4p a liter in the past month. This is its highest level since July of 2008.
The new budget will also see a crack down on tax avoiders who try to hide their income in tax haves offshore. These tax cheaters have been targeted with a wide ranging package of anti-avoidance measures, which will raise £500 million and protect tax revenues of £4 billion.
To help identify the people that are using these havens, the government has signed a new tax information exchange agreement with three well known havens: Grenada, Belize, and Dominica. An enhanced information exchange agreement has been signed with Liechtenstein, and the chancellor said the other 3 new agreements will be signed within a few days.
- Benefit-claiming Brits in EU countries outnumber immigrants on welfare in the UK - January 22, 2015
- UK: Home Secretary insists work must be done to prevent Jewish emigration - January 19, 2015
- UK: 100 illegal attempts a day to enter country - December 22, 2014
- EU president issues migration warning to UK - December 15, 2014
- Number of Portuguese nurses emigrating to UK soaring - December 8, 2014
- Study reveals top ten overseas retirement destinations for UK citizens - August 6, 2014
- UK court ruling supports UK citizen spousal financial requirements - July 14, 2014
- New Zealand announces nationwide provider centres for settlement advice - July 1, 2014
- UK faces brain drain as 70 per cent of recent graduates plan to emigrate - June 30, 2014
- Staggering scale of UK student visa abuse now revealed - June 25, 2014
- More than 500,000 new migrants in England since 2011 - March 6, 2015
- Singapore world’s most expensive city - March 5, 2015
- British retirees keen to emigrate, financial vehicles encouraging move - March 4, 2015
- British expats better paid and healthier, work longer hours - February 27, 2015
- Nez Zealand annual migration rises to record high - February 26, 2015
- Mexican authorities arrest 54 illegal migrants - February 25, 2015
- More Hong Kongers seeking to emigrate to Taiwan - February 24, 2015
- EU wants Bangladesh to do more to curb illegal migration - February 23, 2015
- Italian coastguard rescues more than 200 migrants fleeing Libya - February 20, 2015
- World’s Best Irish Pub: US leading the way - February 19, 2015