Chancellor Alistair Darling Announces the 2010 UK Budget
First of all, something that effects just about everyone in the UK, is a planned 2.76p increase in fuel duty. This is set to start next month, but will be phased in to help reduce the impact on the economy. This new move, which is already expected to add more than £2 to the cost of refilling a large car, is set to rise by 1p in April, 1p in October, and the remaining 0.76p in January of 2011. Darling said that, by the time the full duty increase comes into effect, it should be right in line with inflation.
This new decision follows a warning from the AA last week that said petrol prices were on track to hit a record high of 124p a liter by Easter. The average price of petrol has shot up 4p a liter in the past month. This is its highest level since July of 2008.
The new budget will also see a crack down on tax avoiders who try to hide their income in tax haves offshore. These tax cheaters have been targeted with a wide ranging package of anti-avoidance measures, which will raise £500 million and protect tax revenues of £4 billion.
To help identify the people that are using these havens, the government has signed a new tax information exchange agreement with three well known havens: Grenada, Belize, and Dominica. An enhanced information exchange agreement has been signed with Liechtenstein, and the chancellor said the other 3 new agreements will be signed within a few days.
- Millions to renounce UK residence if labour win election - April 22, 2015
- More than 300,000 Poles to move to UK - April 20, 2015
- Benefit-claiming Brits in EU countries outnumber immigrants on welfare in the UK - January 22, 2015
- UK: Home Secretary insists work must be done to prevent Jewish emigration - January 19, 2015
- UK: 100 illegal attempts a day to enter country - December 22, 2014
- EU president issues migration warning to UK - December 15, 2014
- Number of Portuguese nurses emigrating to UK soaring - December 8, 2014
- Study reveals top ten overseas retirement destinations for UK citizens - August 6, 2014
- UK court ruling supports UK citizen spousal financial requirements - July 14, 2014
- New Zealand announces nationwide provider centres for settlement advice - July 1, 2014
- Spanish association joins expat groups to fight property laws - May 27, 2015
- British expats reveal why Spain is number one choice - May 26, 2015
- Graves filled with suspected trafficking victims found in Malaysia - May 26, 2015
- Malaga attracting foreign buyers once more - May 22, 2015
- Spain joins EU migrant quota opposition - May 21, 2015
- More Brits die in Spain than any other country - May 20, 2015
- Illegal immigrant talks to begin between Malaysia, Bangladesh and Myanmar - May 19, 2015
- Migrant’s Gibraltar Straight bid foiled by Morocco - May 18, 2015
- Large numbers of Hungarians looking to emigrate - May 13, 2015
- Latvian border guards kept busy by illegal immigrants - May 12, 2015